APRIL 2006 EVENTS
Treasures of Sterling’s Architecture
Guided tours of the stone carvings of the Sterling Memorial Library
12 noon - 1:00 p.m. (Yale Library Staff only)
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Yale Library Staff only)
12:00 noon - 1:00 p.m. (open to the public)
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (open to the public)
Location: Sterling Memorial Library
10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Yale University Library Open House Day
In conjunction with Yale’s Communiversity Day, Sterling Memorial Library is hosting a special Open House! All are welcome to join us for the following activities and events:
- Tours of Sterling Memorial Library*
- 11:00 a.m. - Architecture & Stone Carvings of Sterling
- 12:00 p.m. - A Tour with the University Librarian
- 1:00 p.m. - Highlights of Sterling
- 2:00 p.m. - Stained Glass Windows of Sterling
- 3:00 p.m. - Highlights of Sterling
- Our own version of "Antiques Road Show" sponsored by Manuscripts and Archives and the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. Ever wondered about the history of your old books and documents or ways that you can best preserve them? Librarians and archivists will be on hand to help and advise you. (This event will be from 11:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Limit to 3 books and 10 documents per person please).
- Manuscripts and Archives Open House – a rare chance to view close-up some of the treasures of this rich and diverse collection.
- Exhibits - These include: Magic in Mesopotamia, UN 60, a celebration of the United Nations' 60th Anniversary, Witnesses to War and Revolutions: The Papers of Louise Bryant and William C. Bullitt, Jr. and New Acquisitions in Lesbian and Gay Studies.
- Welcome Table – Library brochures, self-guided tours, kids activities, library gift items on sale.
- Special features such as a book made from soap! See the story unfold as the book is washed.
- Books about Yale and New Haven - available for sale by the Yale Bookstore.
- Refreshments available throughout the day
"Sterling Memorial Library and its Champions - Creators, Benefactors, and Staff"
A lecture by Judith Schiff, Chief Research Archivist in Yale’s Manuscripts and Archives Collection on the 75th Anniversary of the Dedication Ceremony held April 11, 1931.
Location: Sterling Memorial Library Lecture Hall
6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Sponsored by Yale University and coordinated by the Arts Council of Greater New Haven, ArtSpot! is the happy hour with an arts twist!
Music by Mike Lasala and the Evolving Souls
Location: Memorabilia Room in Sterling Memorial Library
"Artistic Interpretations of Sterling by Yale Library Staff"
Please note that this event has been postponed until further notice.
Registrations are required for all tours.
All lectures are free and open to the public. No reservations required.
Please select a month to view its events
Return to the
75th Anniversary Front Page