ELIZABETHAN CLUB COLLECTION
(approved for use September 4, 2002)
Founded in 1911 by a gift
of books from Alexander Smith Cochran, 1896, the Elizabethan Club Library
consists of about 300 volumes of sixteenth- and seventeenth-century literature,
including the first four folios of Shakespeare, the Huth Shakespeare quartos,
and first or early quartos of all the major dramatists. The books are kept
in a vault at the clubhouse, 459 College Street, but may be brought to
the Beinecke Library for the use of qualified scholars.
Cf. Stephen Parks, The Elizabethan Club of Yale University and Its Library (New Haven and London, 1986)
The Rare Book Team is responsible for cataloging the Elizabethan Club Collection.
Do not mark the call number in the volume or on the bookplate.
The Elizabethan Club has its own call number scheme. Call numbers are supplied by the librarian of the Elizabethan Club.
Subject, genre, and added tracings
Return to top | Return to Table of contents