Beinecke Cataloging Manual - Pforzheimer Molière
The Pforzheimer Molière Collection was acquired over the course of the 20th century by Walter Pforzheimer and his son, Walter L. Pforzheimer. It includes a nearly complete set of Molière’s first editions and most later editions of his work through 1900, as well as translations, adaptations, engravings, related contemporary literature and reference works.
The size boundaries are:
- up to 25 cm. high
- up to 23 cm. wide
- over 25 and up to 37 cm. high
- over 23 and up to 31 cm. wide
- over 37 cm. high
- over 31 cm. wide
The following guidelines are used when marking volumes
- Mark on Yale bookplate when there is one, generally in the upper left corner.
- When there is no Yale bookplate, mark on verso of last page,
lower right hand corner. The lower left hand corner
is the alternate location when the lower right hand corner is unusable.
- If the last page is unmarkable
(e.g. too dark or shiny or filled with text or illustrations), mark the
verso of the first usable page from the end.
NOTE: Do not mark call number on original wrappers.
Pforzheimer Molière is classed as a name collection with sequential numbering.
||‡b beingen ‡h Pforzheimer Molière ‡i 8
||‡b beingen ‡h Pforzheimer Molière ‡i +3
||‡b beingen ‡h Pforzheimer Molière ‡i Folio 2
Notes and tracings
Multi-volume and collected works
- Make appropriate copy specific notes
- Make provenance tracing for Walter L. Pforzheimer on each bibliographic record. Use Ownership in subfield when his label (blue) is not present. Make a provenance tracing for Walter Pforzheimer (father) only when his label (red) is present
||‡a BEIN Pforzheimer Molière +23: Bookplate of Walter Pforzheimer. From the library of Walter L. Pforzheimer.
||‡a Pforzheimer, Walter L. ‡q (Walter Lionel), ‡d 1914-2003 ‡x Ownership.
||‡a Pforzheimer, Walter ‡x Bookplate.
- Make all other provenance notes and tracings
Cite Guibert, A.-J. Bibliographie des œuvres de Molière publiées au XVIIe siècle. Paris: Éditions du Centre nationale de la recherchre scientifique, 1977
and, Jacob, P.L. Bibliographie moliéresque. Paris: Auguste Fontaine, 1875
||‡a Guibert, A-J. Molière (1977 éd.), ‡c p. 158
||‡a Jacob, P.L. Bibliographie moliéresque, ‡c 11
- Make appropriate form/genre tracings (see below for a list of selected terms used --not all of the terms used will be listed)
- Trace 17th century booksellers, publishers and printers
- An incomplete multi-volume set will be cataloged as the set, indicating the missing volumes in a local note
- Composed works (separately issued plays also issued with other plays under general t.p.) will have bibliographic records for both the individual works and for the set. Holding records for the individual items use an 856 link that points to the bibliographic record for the set. Item records will be attached to the set records
- Contents notes will not be created but may appear in some copy catalog records. Contents of multi-volume works are described in Guibert
List of some of the form/genre terms used:
False imprints (Publishing)
Return to top