(Approved for use 10 January 2000)
The Reference Collection is one of two Beinecke collections that use Library of Congress call numbers.
The size boundaries for Reference Collection materials are:
- up to 25 cm. high
- up to 23 cm. wide
- Quarto (for instructions on oversize call numbers, see Past and Current Practices for Oversize LC Call Numbers):
- between 25 and 38 cm. high
- over 23 and up to 27 cm. wide
- over 38 cm. high
- over 28 cm. wide
The following guidelines are used when marking volumes in the Reference Collection:
1. Mark on verso of t.p. when there is oneClassification
2. Mark on back cover, lower right hand corner, when there is no title page, unless cover is too dark
3. Mark on last page, lower right hand corner, when 1 or 2 don't apply
The lower left hand corner is the alternate location when the lower right hand corner is unusable.
The Reference Collection uses the Library of Congress classification scheme. (LC) is used under the call numbers except in classes D, PA-PZ, Q.