Access Services Committee
History: The Access Services Committee (ASC) received it's name in 2010, and evolved from the Circulation Support Group (CSG). The CSG charge, formulated in 1992, included responsibility for "providing ongoing support for Orbis circulation services, for making recommendations for improvements in the delivery of circulation services across libraries, and for identifying needs for enhancements to the system. The group is also responsible for preparing for the installation of the new software (e.g. testing the release, identifying training and documentation needs, conducting training sessions)."
Charge: The Access Services Committee, which is a subgroup of the Public Services Management Council is charged with:
- Seeking ways to coordinate, improve and expand the array of services which facilitate access to library resources.
- Ensuring excellent customer service to Yale University Library (YUL) readers.
- Providing a forum for troubleshooting and resolving Access Services issues.
- Communicating and documenting Access Services issues, policies, and procedures for all staff in YUL.
- Providing recommendations for improvements and reporting problems with Access Services technologies to Library Information Technology Office (LITO).
- Sharing resources across the YUL as appropriate.
- Preparing for the installation and/or upgrade of new Access Services softwares, which may include testing releases, identifying training and documentation needs, and conducting training sessions.
- Adding members as necessary and on an ad hoc basis who have special expertise which can assist the committee on a particular issue, procedure or workflow.
Membership: ASC is composed of frontline service managers from Circulation, Document Delivery, Privileges, Reserve and Stacks Management units. All libraries are encouraged to send a representative. Members are responsible for gathering and communicating circulation issues to the group and reporting back to their library unit.
Role of ASC Chairperson: The ASC Chairperson is responsible for calling meetings, setting and distributing agendas to its membership, and working with the Sponsor to effectively direct the efforts of the committee.
Role of ASC Sponsor: The ASC Sponsor is a member of the Public Services Management Council (PSMC), helps direct the activities of ASC and bring issues forward to PSMC.
Meetings: The committee will meet on the second Tuesday of every month from 2-3:30pm except when a special meeting must be called.
Return to Standing Committees