Contact John Vincenti, Manager Building Operations and Security:
Yale University's Library Security Department oversees the security in Sterling Memorial Library and Bass Library. Both libraries contain material of great culture, research and monetary value - material which must be guarded with great care if use is to be made of the material by those who need it.
The staff of the Library Security Department enforces the library's policies, rules and procedures with respect to the operations, security and safety of the library, its collections and occupants.
Library Security personnel are not officially connected with the Yale or the New Haven Police Departments, but the department works in close cooperation with these agencies when necessary. The staff of the Library Security Department may be seen as supplements to the Yale Police, another facet of the campus-wide effort to achieve security for the Yale community.
- SML and Bass are open to the public before 6pm.
- Entrance into the book stacks in SML is by Yale Id or Yale Privileges Card only. Please scan your Id at the Stacks Security entrance and present the Id to the security guard to gain access to the stacks.
- If you would like to gain access to either library after 6pm, you must bring your Yale Id or Yale Privileges Card for admittance. NO ID, NO ENTRY.
- Bag checks when exiting
- Signs placed outside the High Street, Wall Street and Bass entrances in both libraries inform patrons, visitors, and guests that all books, briefcases, bags, backpacks, purses, and parcels not previously stamped by a Security Officer will be inspected at the exits.
- When exiting the library, please have all library materials out and have bags/bagpacks/carrying cases open to be inspected by security personnel.
Lost and Found
- Lost and found items are turned into the Bass Security Desk and the Security Office in SML.
- To locate a lost item, please contact Melissa English, Building Operations and Security Office Assistant.
- Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
- Office phone: 203-432-1830
- Email: Melissa.firstname.lastname@example.org