I. GENERAL SOURCES
A. Guides to the Literature
- Duignan, Peter. Guide to research and reference works
on Sub-Saharan Africa. Stanford, Calif., Hoover Institution
Press, Stanford University, 1971.
- SML Starr Reference Z33501 +D848 (LC)
Over 3,000 entries, which include guide to libraries and archives
all over the world which collect Africana; information on research
organizations and the book trade; general bibliographies, including
maps, dissertations, and official publications; bibliographies
on specific countries; and guides to various subjects in the
social sciences and humanities.
- McIlwaine, John. Africa: a guide to reference material.
London; New York: Hans Zell Publishers, 1993.
- Divinity, Trowbridge Reading Room Z3501 M3 1993 (LC)
- Zell, Hans M. The African studies companion: a resource
guide and directory. 2nd rev. ed. London; New Providence,
N.J. : H. Zell, 1997.
- SML Starr Reference DT19.8 Z45 1997 (LC); DIVINITY, Trowbridge DT19.8 Z45
- Colonialism in Africa, 1870-1960. Ed. L. H. Gann and Peter Duignan.
Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1969- 1975. 5 v.
- SML DT31 G36 (LC); CCL, Stacks DT31 G36
Contents: 1) The history and politics of colonialism 1870-1914 . 2) The history
and politics of colonialism 1914- 1960. 3) Profiles of change, African society
and colonial rule. 4) The economics of colonialism. 5) A bibliographical guide
to colonialism in sub-Saharan Africa
- The Cambridge history of Africa. Eds. J. D. Fage and Roland Oliver.
Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1975- 1986. 8 v.
- SML Starr Reference DT20 C35 (LC); CCL Stacks DT20 C35
Contents: 1) From the earliest times to c. 500 B.C. 2) From c. 500 B.C. to
A.D. 1050.3) From c. 1050 to c. 1600. 4) From c. 1600 to c. 1790. 5) From
c. 1790 to c. 1870. 6) From 1870 to 1905. 7)From 1905 to 1940. 8) From c.
1940 to c. 1975.
- General history of Africa. London: Heinemann; Berkeley: University
of California Press; Paris: UNESCO, 1981-1993. 8 v.
- CCL, Stacks DT20 G45
Contents: 1) Methodology and African prehistory. 2) Ancient civilizations
of Africa. 3) Africa from the Seventh to the Eleventh Century. 4) Africa from
the Twelfth to the Sixteenth Century. 5) Africa from the Sixteenth to the
Eighteenth Century. 6) Africa in the Nineteenth Century until the 1880s. 7)
Africa under colonial domination, 1880-1935. 8) Africa since 1935.
- Diggs, Ellen Irene. Black chronology: from 4000 B. C. to the abolition
of the slave trade. Boston, Mass.: G.K. Hall, c1983.
- SML Starr Reference DT17 D5 1983 (LC)
- Freeman-Grenville, G. S. P. Chronology of African history. [London,
New York] Oxford University Press, 1973.
- SML Starr Reference DT17 F73 (LC)
- Jenkins, Everett. Pan-African chronology: a comprehensive reference to
the Black quest for freedom in Africa, the Americas, Europe and Asia, 1400-1865.
Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland and Co., c1996.
- SML Starr Reference DT17 J46X 1996 (LC)
- Directory of African and African-American studies in the
United States. Atlanta, GA: African Studies Association Press,
c1993- 8th ed.- Continues: Directory of African and Afro-American
studies in the United States
- SML DT19.9 US D57 (LC)
- Fenton, Thomas P. Africa: a directory of resources. Maryknoll, N.Y.:
Orbis Books, c 1987.
- SML Starr Reference Z3501 F45 1987 (LC)
- French, Tom. The SCOLMA directory of libraries and special
collections on Africa in the United Kingdom and in Europe.
5th rev. and expanded ed. London; New York: Hans Zen Publishers,
- SML Starr Reference Z3501 S73 1993 (LC)
- Gosebrink, Jean E. Meeh. African studies information resources
directory. Oxford, England: H. Zell, 1986.
- SML Starr Reference Z3501
- Third World resource directory, 1994-1995: an annotated
guide to print and audiovisual resources from and about Africa,
Asia and Pacific, Latin America and Caribbean, and the Middle
East. Eds. Thomas P. Fenton and Mary J. Heffron. Maryknoll,
N.Y.: Orbis Books, c1994.
- SML Z7164 US T46 1984 (LC)
E. Handbooks, Encyclopedias, and Dictionaries
- Africa contemporary record, annual survey and documents. London,
Africa Research ltd.; New York, Africana Publishing Corp. 1968/69-
- SML DT1 A2849 (LC) [Latest volume in reference]. Library has v.1(1968/1969)
- Africa research bulletin. Political, social, and cultural series.
Oxford, England: Blackwell, c1992-
- SSL, Periodicals (Non-Circulating)
- Africa review. Saffron Walden, Essex, England: World of Information,
- SML DT1 A2853 (LC) [ Latest volume in reference.]
- Africa south of the Sahara. London, Europa Publications Ltd. 1971-
- SML DT351 +A37 (LC) [Latest volume in reference.]
"A handbook as well as a directory contains the following information:
(1) Background to the continent, with essays by specialists on varied aspects
of African studies, and a well-chosen bibliography of select periodicals of
the field; (2) Regional organizations, with details of their activities; (3)
Country surveys for 51 countries, covering key political, social and economic
developments of the preceding year, with select bibliographies. Also provides
overview essays; statistics on economic, demographic, and other data; directory
of names and addresses of major institutions, e.g., banks, governmental of
finials, media, newspapers, political parties, trade unions and the like."
(Guide to Reference Books, 11th Edition, no.DD94.)
Note: North African countries are covered by: The Middle East and
North Africa. London, Europa Publications. 1948-.
- African historical dictionaries. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press. no.
1- (1974- )
- "Each dictionary in series offers a brief chronology and a survey of
the country's history and economics, followed by entries for basic contemporary
and historical information and brief biographies of important persons. Most
volumes end with a selective and sometimes extensive biography. Breadth, depth,
and quality of coverage vary widely from one volume to another." (Guide
to Reference Books, 11th Edition, no. DD48)
Note: Search under individual title in online catalog for items in
this series, e.g., (t=historical dictionary of ghana)
- Area handbook series.
196?-. [Wash.]: U.S. Gov. Print. Office, Superintendent of Documents, 1992-.
- "A series developed at American University by academics but published
for the U.S. Department of Defense. The most recent volumes have been produced
by the Library of Congress. All are book-length monographs that serve as excellent
introductions to the history, politics economics, and culture of each country,
and include bibliographies, maps, graphics, and photographs." (Guide
to Reference Books, 11 th Edition, no. DD62). Note: Search under individual
title in online catalog for items in this series, e.g., (k=area handbook series
- Arnold, Guy. Political and economic encyclopaedia of Africa. Harlow:
Longman Current Affairs, c 1993.
- SML Starr Reference DT3 A76 1993 (LC)
- Baker, Philip. International guide to African studies research. 2nd
fully rev. and expanded ed. London; New York: Published for the International
African Institute, 1987.
- SML Starr Reference DT19.8 B34 1987 (LC)
- Brownlie, Ian. Basic documents on African affairs. Oxford, Clarendon
- CCL DT19.8 B76
- The Cambridge encyclopedia of Africa. Ed. Roland Oliver and Michael
Crowder. Cambridge [Eng.]; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1981.
- SML Starr Reference DT3 +C35 1981 (LC); CCL Reference, Upper Level
- Fredland, Richard A. A guide to African international organizations.
London; New York: H. Zell, 1990.
- SML Starr Reference JX1995 F67X 1990 (LC)
- Gosebrink, Jean E. Meeh. African studies information resources directory.
Oxford, England: H. Zell, 1986.
- SML Starr Reference Z3501 G67 (LC)
"A partial revision of Peter Duignan's Handbook of American Resources
for African Studies (1967)"--Preface.
- Kurian, George Thomas. The encyclopedia of the Third World. 4th ed.
New York, N.Y.: Facts on File, c 1992. 3 v.
- SML Starr Reference HC59.7 +K87 1992 (LC)
- Morrison, Donald George. Black Africa: a comparative handbook. 2nd
ed. New York: Paragon House; Irvington, c1989.
- CCL, Reference, Upper Level Ref DT352.8 +M67 1989
- New African yearbook. London, I.C. Magazines, 1978-
- SML DT1 +N483 (LC) [Latest volume in reference]
- World factbook.
Washington, D C.: Central Intelligence Agency: Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,
- SML G122 .+U56 (LC) [Latest volume in reference.]
"The following information is provided for in each country in the world:
brief data on geography, people, government, economy, membership in international
intergovernmental organizations, communications, and defense forces. Small
maps of each country; regional maps in color. Includes introductory notes,
definitions, and abbreviations." (Guide to Reference Books, 11th
Edition, no. CL68.)
- Landmark encyclopedia of the nations. 7th ed. New York: Worldmark
Press: J. Wiley, c1988. 5 v.
- CCL, Reference, Upper Level Ref G63 +W67 1988 (LC)
F. Statistical Sources
- African economic and financial data. New York, N.Y.: United Nations
Development Programmer Washington, D.C.: World Bank, 1989.
- SSL, Economic Growth Center 7 HA37.35 A375 1989
- African statistical yearbook. [Addis Ababa]: Economic Commission
for Africa, United Nations.
- SSL, Economic Growth Center 7 HA37.1 AS [Latest volume in reference.]
- Unesco statistical yearbook. [Paris: Unesco], 1964-
- SML HA42 +U53 (LC) [Latest volume in reference. ]
- Union list of African censuses development plans and statistical abstracts.
Comp. Victoria K. Evalds. New York: K.G. Saur, Hans Zell Publishers, 1985.
- SML Starr Reference HC502 U54 1985 (LC); SSL, Economic Growth Center, Reference
Z 7 HC502 U55 1985