AMEEL digitization workshop at MESA 2008
Sunday, November 23, 2008 (9am-3pm) Room: Virginia C
Marriott Wardman Park Hotel; Washington, DC
- Goals of the 1-day workshop
- Digitizing Arabic Materials: why and what’s involved?
9:15-10:15 Preparing to Digitize
- Evaluation & Selection: what to digitize?
- Copyright Concerns: complying with the law
10:15-10:30 Morning Break
10:30-12:00 Converting Arabic Text via OCR
- Why? What does Optical Character Recognition do?
- Two software solutions: Sakhr / VERUS
12:30-12:45 Questions from the Morning (while finishing lunch?)
12:45-1:45 Technical Decisions: Metadata, Formats, Preservation
- Schemas: MARC, Dublin Core
- Formats: Preparing for Searching & Retrieval
- Archiving digitized files – preservation and access
- Evaluating Capacities
- In-house team
(Afternoon Break during sessions -- water bottles available)
2:45-3:00 Wrap-up, Demonstration & Evaluations