|The Tradition of Letterpress Printing at Yale||
|The Company of College Printers was founded
in 1937 at the instigation of Clarence W. Mendell, then Master of Branford
College. The group was made of Masters, faculty advisers, and undergraduate
printers from the three colleges to first have printing offices. They met
sporadically for dinners, lectures and discussions, and to print. The group
did not become "Honorable" until Mr. Carl Lohmann so called them in 1940
on an invitation to an evening of printing activities.
The HCCP has existed sporadically since
its inception. The history lists revival meetings in 1952, 1955, and 1962.
The continuance of the organization is not clear after the HCCP history
was written in 1965. A more detailed history
of the group is available on the Arts of the Book Collection web
site. The images below are a selection of printed ephemera concerning
the HCCP in the archive of student printing in the AOB Collection.
2001 Yale University Library
Last modified: 16 November 2001 11:59:51 AM.
by Jae Williams and D.L.Nolting