Located on the fifth floor above Phelps Gate, overlooking Old Campus and the New Haven Green, the Classics Library’s services and collections support the study of Greco-Roman antiquity at Yale University. The Library was organized in 1892 by the Greek and Latin Club of Yale University as the Classical Club Library (the name was later changed to Classics Library). It has been located in Phelps since 1896 and has been administratively part of the Arts Library system since 1999. The collection comprises over 25,000 volumes which cover all aspects of classical antiquity, including epigraphy and papyrology, with a focus on text editions and other primary sources, commentaries, and reference works. These holdings are supported by a growing collection of digital resources, as well as by substantial print collections at Sterling Memorial Library, the Haas Family Arts Library, and other Yale Libraries.
The Classics Library constitutes an integral part of the curricular program of the Classics Department and functions in close and vital connection with its teaching and research program. Reserve readings for classics course are shelved in the Library. Reference and research consultation services are available during normal business hours and via email. Access to the Classics Library is restricted to current Yale faculty, students, and staff, and entry requires a current Yale ID. All Classics Library materials are non-circulating.