This document summarizes
treatment of 035s in ORBIS records.
- Completed cataloging records should
have a 035 for a matching OCLC record if the record was exported from WorldCat unless a non-YUL IR was exported or for any exported record used as source copy for a variant edition
originally created in Notis will also have a 035 in the $9 that should
be retained if the record is updated on Voyager.
Set the Export Option fields to strip 035 from the bibliographic record following the guidelines in Connexion: Setting Export Options
When the options are set, all 035s in the Connexion record will be stripped upon export. Note that with Connexion 1.7 (Dec. 2007) [and with succeeding versions], whenever a record is created or updated [in Connexion], the Connexion software creates a 035 with the OCLC control number, but this number is not needed in Voyager and in some cases will cause Voyager to generate an error message.
After a record is exported
to ORBIS, Voyager automatically generates a 035 with a prefix ocm (for 8 digit numbers) or ocn (for 9 digit numbers):
035 __ ‡a (OCoLC)ocm69983298
035 __ ‡a (OCoLC)ocn148290923
The 035 generated by Voyager is necessary for performing overlays on records and should be retained in the overlaid record unless the following condition applies:
- If the OCLC record is
for a different edition, delete the Voyager generated 035 derived from the OCLC ID number after the overlay has taken place
- With Connexion 2.0, Voyager will generate the 035 from the Master Record ID number or the Institutional Record (IR) ID number, whichever is exported from WorldCat. If an IR is exported instead of a Master Record, the Master Record ID is stored in field 079
- If the 035 was generated from the Master Record ID or the YUL IR, retain it
- If the 035 was generated from the IR ID number of a non-Yale IR, delete it (WorldCat will assign a unique ID number when the Orbis record loads into the WorldCat database)
- If a Yale or non-Yale IR is exported, the Master Record ID is stored in field 079. Retain field 079 whether or not the IR exported was Yale or non-Yale, unless the record is being used to create a variant edition bibliographic record in Orbis
Delete all 035's coming
from LCDB following the procedures for deleting a field in Voyager.
Examples of 035's from
- Retain ORBIS 1/Notis
ID numbers when updating records
- Retain Yale RLIN ID numbers when updating records. RLIN ID numbers can be used to identify Yale WorldCat Institutional Records, especially for the period before Yale contributed records to both RLIN and OCLC. Yale RLIN ID numbers begin with (CStRLIN) followed by a library identifier code (LI) beginning with CTY (e.g. CTYG, CTYA, CTYX, etc.). Delete RLIN 035s with non-CTY LIs.
- All 035's from the source copy must
be deleted when doing variant edition cataloging (if the record being modified has a 035 for the ORBIS 1/NOTIS ID number, that number should be retained).
- After you have imported
a new record into ORBIS (from OCLC or LCDB), and the record
matches the copy being processed, only the following 035's should
remain in the record.
- 035 followed by
an OCLC record id number (OCoLC)ocm
- 035 followed by an RLIN record id number for a Yale record (CStRLIN)CTY_
All other 035's should be deleted.
- Do Not Add local 035
fields unless noted as an EXCEPTION below.
EXCEPTION: Search strings that link from finding aids to the associated catalog records:
EXCEPTION: HVT numbers used by the Fortunoff Video Archive:
EXCEPTION: Microfilm numbers for records created by Manuscripts and Archives:
- Special 035 instructions for Beinecke Rare Book records created by Retro-Link. These records may be identified by the 035 beginning with (UPRA) and should only be updated by Rare Book staff.
Once the record has been cleaned up, remove 035's beginning "(UPRA)tmpXXX ..." or "(UPRA)rdbXXX ...", but NOT the 035 beginning "(UPRA)CTYXRL ...", .... Do not remove the 035's until you have cleaned up the record, as the presence or absence of an 035 is an obvious indication of whether the record has been cleaned up or not.
field deletion policy (Excel table)
Connexion 2.0 Policies & Procedures for Exports
Technical Bulletin 253: ISBN and OCLC Number Changes (Web)
Technical Bulletin 253: ISBN and OCLC Number Changes (PDF)