Although undocumented in SCM:Subject Headings, the LC COOP team has confirmed* that it is standard LCSH practice to assign a form heading (unsubdivided) for Audiobooks.
Currently, LC is tagging Audiobooks as 650.* However, given that LC is in the process of implementing form/genre authority records, and that LC has already begun to use the 655 tag for Audiobooks on some of its bibliographic records, catalogers should use 655 when a form heading for Audiobooks needs to be traced.
*In Feb. 2009, Audiobooks for form/genre usage was established as 155. LC has not published guidelines on usage. Continue to follow the local guidelines in this document until further notice.
CAUTION: this is not a general OK to use the 655 tag for any other form LCSHs currently tagged as 650.
Since, in addition, we have a request from Research Services to provide form access to audiobooks, the following guidelines should be observed:
1. Form headings for audiobooks should be tagged as:
655 _0 $a Audiobooks.
The heading should not be further subdivided (for example, by place).
2. Original cataloging: apply when applicable.
3. Member and LC copy: apply when applicable (the heading does not appear on some LC records). Re-tag from 650 to 655 if necessary.
- Do not re-tag if the 245 lacks $h [sound recording]
- Do not re-tag any 650 _0 $a Audiobooks if the heading is subdivided.
4. The policy will not be applied systematically to records cataloged prior to the implementation of these guidelines. Optionally, the heading may be assigned if a record is recataloged for other reasons.
*e-mail from Anthony Franks, 11/9/07