Instructions for Archiving Cataloging Documentation
following documents have been archived. They are of
historical interest only and do not necessarily
represent current Yale University Library practice.
They are listed in reverse chronological order.
- NACO Series Training (May 2003). Details of the NACO series training sessions taught by Judy Kuhagen and completed by cataloging staff in the spring of 2003.
- Procedures for Recording Volumes Missing at the Time of Transfer to LSF (Jan. 2003)
- Orbis Cataloging Manual
(31 May 2002)
- Local Guidelines for Reviewing NACO Series Authority Records (November 1999). Guidelines used by the NACO Coordinating Committee from November 1999 through April 2005 to determine if a cataloger should be granted independence.
- Interim Workflow for NACO Series Review (November 1999). Workflow used after initial NACO Series training in November 1999 by Judy Kuhagen. The NACO Series Review Group met weekly to review all SARs created at Yale. This workflow was discontinued after all reviewers became independent in May 2001. Catalogers now submit records directly to their reviewers..
- Authority Record Change Report from OCLC Authority Control Service (21 January 1997). Details on the customized Authority Record Change Reports we asked to receive from the OCLC Authority Control Service.
Specifications for OCLC Authority Control Service
Implementation (20 January 1997). System specifications detailing how
the OCLC Authority Control Service processing was applied to
various categories of records and headings. Processing was
begun in March 1997 and ended in December 2000.
- Overview of OCLC Authority
Control Service Implementation (20 January 1997). Report
summarizing Yale's implementation of the OCLC Authority
Control Service. Specifies which records were sent for
processing and which headings on those records were processed.
Reviews our various custom processing requests. Processing was
begun in March 1997 and ended in December 2000.
- NACO Names Independence (21 November 1996). Report announcing Yale's institutional independence from Library of Congress review for name headings in the fall of 1996. Summarizes our internal policies for granting independence in Names to individual catalogers and maintaining quality control.
Policies were revised in 2006.
- NACO Names Training (10 June 1996). Details of the NACO names training sessions completed by cataloging staff in the summer of 1996.
- Report by the
Authority Control Planning Committee to the
Catalog Department (11 April 1996).
Progress report presented by the Authority
Control Planning Committee at a meeting of
the Catalog Department. Summarized much of
the Committee's work to date and served as an
introduction to additional expanded reports
on specific topics.
to Discontinue Local 'Description and Travel'
Headings (1 April 1996). Report
by the Authority Control Planning Committee
recommending that the local practice of
maintaining chronological subdivisions in [Place]--Description
and travel headings be discontinued and
that genre headings be used as needed to
provide chronological access for travel
literature. The first recommendation was
accepted; the need for chronological access
to travel literature was rejected and the use
of genre headings was not implemented.
- Results of
Catalogers' Survey on Heading Verification (1 April 1996).
Results of a survey distributed by the
Authority Control Planning Committee to Yale
cataloging and acquisitions staff. Reports
the frequency with which various categories
of headings were searched in the local vs.
national authority files, and the extent to
which heading verification varied for
original cataloging vs. LC and member copy
cataloging. Aided in the revising of workflow.
to Expand NACO Participation (27 March 1996).
Report by the Authority Control Planning
Committee addressing the need for expanded
participation in the NACO program as a
prerequisite to OCLC processing. Includes the
recommendation that NACO training from the
Library of Congress be provided for all
professional cataloging staff responsible for
creating authority records. NACO training was
subsequently completed in the summer of 1996.
to LMC to Implement the OCLC Authority
Control Service (10 July 1995).
Excerpt from a report made to Library
Management Council by the Retrospective
Conversion Planning Committee. Presents the
Committee's recommendation that the Library
implement OCLC's Authority Control Service
before beginning retrospective conversion of
the Yale card catalog.
- OCLC Proposal
to Provide Automated Processing Using Its
Authority Control Service (15 September 1994).
Excerpt from the original proposal made by
OCLC to Yale University Library for providing
automated authorities processing of the Orbis