CCC Home Page

Cataloging Coordinating Committee Minutes


Date: 2002-02-28

Attendance not recorded


Action items: Joan needs to hear back from committee members by Wednesday, 6 March, about the following (See minutes below for details):


1. We need to send our current print locations for labels, and the volume of printing at each location. We need to know what we are doing in NOTIS now, and determine what we will need on Day 1 in Voyager.
2. Item types: We need to look at the list distributed during the meeting and make sure all item types are accounted for. We need to know how we are going to relay item type information, and their purpose in Voyager, to acquisitions and cataloging staff.
3. NOTIS Exploding codes and their corresponding notes displayed to public: we need to look at the "master list" of codes and their corresponding notes. We need to tell Joan about notes to delete, and notes we need to add. Are there codes on this list that should go away and not migrate?

Audrey Novak talked to the group about label printing in Voyager, and the role of item types in Voyager.

I. Label printing in Voyager will be no better than in NOTIS. Therefore, we will use a label-printing program Gary Strawn created for Voyager. The program works better than NOTIS or Voyager. We need a list of current print locations and the volume of printing at each location.

II.New Item Types. Item level values in Voyager are called "item types." In Notis we call these item level values "loan codes." Most of them were "norm." We have not paid much attention to these values because they are messy, and our Notis circulation tables use "Location code" for circulation loan periods. In Voyager "location code" is meaningless and "item type" is important. The list of item types handed out at this meeting is longer, reflecting loan periods. The names on the list also reflect some locations because although material might all circulate in the same way now, some of the material might be separated later. The list also reflects medium (video, etc.) and material that is circ/no circ.

What this difference means for us: while we now might only look at the location, in Voyager we will need to ask "does it circulate or not". We have a table. In the table some things could get different item types, but be assigned to the same location. Assigning these item types could slow us down, and will be a big training issue. But Voyager works this way, and we need to adapt.

We need to think about the workflow issues related to this change. An item type would be entered at the point of record creation, using a default item type. Cataloging will check to be sure the correct item type is defined. In the past, mistakes did not have an impact on circulation because location controlled circulation loan period. In Voyager, mistakes will affect the loan period immediately.

III. Notis exploding codes. Joan sent an attachment to the committee for review. The attachment contains a compilation of all exploding codes and their text display equivalents (Karen Spicher and Steven Arakawa, training team on the Cataloging/Authorities implementation group compiled this list). In Voyager the concept of "exploding codes" will go away. We will input text only.

In migration to Voyager the exploded codes are migrating to:
852 $z the "um=" long display of exploding code for public notes;
$x old, unexploded ORBIS code for staff reference (as well as all other 'non-public' notes)
"UM=" notes related to shelving in the periodical room will migrate to a second $z. Steven Arakawa will dig up this complete list. None of the notes are searchable, but are available on the web now, under the NELINET training documents. http://www.library.yale.edu/orbis2/implementation/training%20docs%20for%20NELINET.htm
Are there codes that should go away now, and not migrate to Voyager? Please let Joan know by Wednesday, 6 March.

IV. Other Voyager topics.


· The "+" in LC call numbers: The MMG met and said "yes" to putting the plus sign at the end of the call number. MMG continues to investigate whether to also add the word "oversize."

· Transition workflows: 3 weeks of downtime for cataloging, except for the vernacular which is done on RLIN.
Audrey has negotiated for a "gap extract" in June. Acquisitions will create new records only, using a new key range set up especially for this gap period. So we could possibly catalog, but only in the new records in the gap key range. Then in June, Endeavor will convert this key range separately. Audrey, Joan and others are still working out the details and issues.

· Serials control implementation. Serials control will be centralized while we learn how to use the system. We have a budget request for temporary serials staff to set up all the information, and get the process off the ground in the serials module within a two year time period.

· A Serials Implementation Group has been appointed. Jim Shetler is the chair. Other members include Matthew Beacom, Paula Ball, Fanny Hsieh, and Kurtis Orio. They are working on issues related to setting up the Serials Control part of the Acquisitions Module.

Marcia Romanansky is checking with other units and departments who do serials. Outside staff will use 866 fields in the MFHD to record holdings. She along with Joan and the Serials Implementation Group are working on a workflow for creating surrogates for pattern creation, and sending those to the Central Serials Unit.

On 1 July we will all be using 866 fields with blank indicators. There will be a method for creating all new receipts and implementation will not hold up this work.

· The Documentation group met this week. Joan chairs the group and membership includes Maria Hunenko, Marta Rudyk, Robert Killheffer, Steven Arakawa, Keiko Suzuki, Xinkai Kung, Susan Tucker, Rick Sarcia, Manon Theroux, Lynn Thomas, Eric Friede, Anthony Oddo, Penny Welbourne, and Matthew Beacom. They are looking at current documtation that needs to be "Voyagerized," and identifying new documents that need to be created.

· Training will begin the first week of April for Cataloging staff. Vernacular language catalogers will begin training the following week.

V. RLIN site visit. Karen Smith-Yoshimura, from RLIN, will be visiting on 21 March. Among other activities, she will discuss RLG's Cultural Materials Initiative in detail (http://www.rlg.org/culturalres/). This initiative pulls together digital versions of manuscripts, historical documents, and other material. RLG provides description and access to this material through the "RLG Cultural Materials Resource." We have a trial subscription to the resource.

Karen helped us with our Pinyin conversion. She is a Yale graduate and an East Asian Studies specialist.

Respectfully submitted by
Patricia Thurston

 


Site URL: http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/ccc/ccchome.htm
Comments to: Joan Swanekamp  <joan.swanekamp@yale.edu>

© 2003 Yale University Library

Top of Page