CCC Home Page

Cataloging Coordinating Council Minutes


Date: 2003-07-24

Present: Joan Swanekamp (chair), Steven Arakawa, Paula Ball, Helen Bartlett, Susan Brady, Sarah Elman, Marsha Garman, Robert Killheffer, Daniel Lovins,, Nancy Lyon, Kari Swanson, Manon Théroux, Patricia Thurston, David Walls, Stephen Young

Absent: Matthew Beacom, Eric Friede, Rebecca Hamilton, Abdul Hannawi, Ellen Jaramillo, Beatrice Luh, Soraya Maghalaes-Wilson, Anthony Oddo, James Shetler, Karen Spicher, E.C. Schroeder, Dajin Sun


Joan Swanekamp welcomed guest Brian MacDonald, a summer cataloging intern working on the Hebraica team.

Manon Theroux reported that the NACO Series Review Group has merged with the NACO Coordinating Committee, which continues under that name, and now reports to CCC. A new page has been created; Manon will send out the URL soon. The NACO Coordinating Committee members are now: Manon Theroux, chair, Steven Arakawa, Sarah Elman, Fanny Hsieh, Maria Hunenko, Mickey Koth, Cecile Mandour, and Richard Sarcia; some revision assignments have been changed. CCC was asked to review the draft charge. A suggestion was made that the Committee also be responsible for drafting institutional responses relevant to NACO work to draft LCRIs solicited by the Library of Congress or PCC, and the suggestion will be included in the revised charge. The understanding is that the Committee will post a draft of their response locally for comment before forwarding to LC or PCC.

Current NACO Coordinating Committee business:

Manon also reported on MARS processing. Two batches of Orbis bib records are being sent out weekly as backfiles are processed. The Serial Solutions records for e-journals will be processed soon. Finally, sometime after the backfiles are finished, the vernacular records will go through MARS. MARS processing replaces the entire bibliographic record, and not just headings are modified. Manon distributed a list of non-heading fields updated by MARS. Also included was the section of the profile indicating how 6XX fields are processed, including which indicators caused MARS to strip a subject heading from the record.

Next, Manon reported on ACAC business. The MARS testing is done, and ACAC is now focusing on training. In the works is a session for technical services staff on series: how to interpret series authority records, how to validate bib records, 490 1 vs. 440. There is a possibility that ACAC will also be testing a new version of ExportQ sometime in the coming months.

Finally, Manon reported on the impact of the 2001.2 version of Voyager on authority processing. Voyager has fixed the bug affecting the importing of authority records from LCDB. Once 2001.2 is good to go, there will be an official announcement that the moratorium on importing LCDB authority records is over. (There will be a delay in the release of 2001.2 due to a last minute discovery of a bug affecting LCDB searching.) The new version does not fully resolve the merged authorities problem, though it presents big improvements. Manon distributed another document with an example of how a series record originally updated by Yale would merge with a later version updated by DLC. Although the merged record looks a little clumsy and redundant, it retains our local decisions. Merged records of this kind do not have to be "cleaned up" locally.
Manon also reported on MARS processing. Two batches are being sent out weekly as backfiles are processed. When the backfiles are finished, Serial Solutions records will be processed. Finally, the vernacular records will go through MARS. MARS processing replaces the entire bibliographic record, and not just headings are modified. Manon distributed a list of non-heading fields updated by MARS. Also included was the section of the profile indicating which indicators caused MARS to strip a subject heading from the record.

Patricia Thurston explained the background and the provisional procedure for handling bound with items in Voyager; she also demonstrated how the bibliographic and MFHD records would look in both the staff module and Web Voyage. The draft documentation is intended to address relatively simple situations. More advanced problems (e.g. where an issue of a serial is bound with monographic titles) will be addressed in a separate procedures document. The new procedure is expected to work as well for situations where multiple titles are filmed on a single microfilm reel. Voyager allows multiple bibliographic records to be associated with a single item record, so the new procedure is expected to be a great benefit for determining the circulation status of the individual bound with titles. It is proposed that the "bound with" note will be recorded in 852 subfield z of the first title in the bound together volume, and that the MFHDS for the subsequent titles will be created but suppressed to disambiguate the holdings display. In Web Voyage, the 852 $z bound with note will display following a NOTES label beneath the copy location in Web Voyage for the first record and also every subsequent bibliographic record associated with the item record. With the MFHDs for the subsequent titles suppressed, the Web Pac for those bibliographic records will point only to the holdings and item record/circulation status of the first title, so the $z note only needs to be entered once for the list of all titles. There was some discussion about whether the same technique could be used with Beinecke cataloging, where the "with" note is currently entered in field 590; a problem is that bound with information is sometimes combined with other copy specific data. Joan suggested that the Policy/Documentation Group and Social Science cataloging take a look at the document as well. David Walls will experiment with the technique with microfilm records.

Sarah Elman reported on the progress of the Training Checklist. Many of the new items were based on suggestions from Ellen Jaramillo. Sarah asked for response from CCC on 3 items:

  1. Format. Relevant URLS are now entered directly below the items on the checklist. No objections.
  2. Level of detail. Preference is not to leave out; the trainer can identify what to cut, determined by staff needs. Creation of preliminary records and item records should remain on the list. Though not part of the standard cataloging workflow at SML, it needs to be addressed for school and departmental libraries.
  3. Local practices. How to incorporate. Representatives from school and departmental libraries were concerned that links to SML-specific procedures might be misleading. A workaround that seemed agreeable would be to link to the relevant section heading in the Orbis 2 Table of Contents web page, where a menu list of links to location specific procedures would be listed.

As part of the exercise of inserting the relevant links into the checklist, the TF noted a number of items where documentation was lacking. In some cases, documentation may not be necessary. In other cases, the trainer would have to provide the information until documentation is prepared. A general overview of technical services workflow is lacking, but since technical services workflow is currently undergoing review, it is probably best not to try to document workflow at this time. The question was raised as to whether the eventual workflow documentation would be too SML-centric.

Some additional items relevant to basic workstation skills had been added. CCC members were concerned that workstation skills were out of scope and would make the checklist too overwhelming. It was generally agreed that a document on workstation skills should best come out of the Expert Users group.

There was a brief interruption for a late-breaking announcement from Audrey Novak that the implementation of version 2001.2 would be delayed.

Prior to discussion of the draft Serials MFHD document, Steven Arakawa asked about progress on the ENUM/CHRON proposal to include captions in ENUM. So far no serious objections from public services. It will be discussed at the next Circulation Support meeting. No one had any reports on entering accompanying material data in the TEXT field, a related proposal for updating item record procedures. Steven will work with Robert Killheffer on some tests with the TEXT field.

In the time remaining, Steven walked CCC through the first part of the draft Serial MFHD document. The document is based on Yale's NOTIS Acquisitions manual and Libby Hofsas's draft serials cataloging manual. The document incorporates the ANSI-NISO Z39.71-1999 standard (Yale has been using Z39.44-1986), and Steven acknowledged a number of helpful comments from Fanny Hsieh. Joan noted that the standard "requires the recording of those pieces held rather than of those pieces not held" but that positive statements of pieces held can only be done if the staff member actually has the items in hand. In those cases where the items are not in hand, the technique used by Recon should be used. Steven asked whether CCC had any problems using ISO caption abbreviations in MFHD in addition to AACR2 abbreviations. One advantage would be that more abbreviations could be used in ENUM (recalling the proposal to use captions in ENUM, and that the available space in ENUM is limited). An additional look-up might be needed for those captions not abbreviated on the bibliographic record, but it's not clear whether this is a really significant problem. Sarah Elman raised the question whether captions should be supplied when parts of a unit do not have them. Although this might be considered to be related to some extent to the ENUM/CHRON proposal, Steven expressed misgivings about not following the standard unless there were significant workflow issues involved. As time was running out, Steven also noted that a new procedure for transcribing alternative numbering is described in section 11j.

Respectfully submitted,

Steven Arakawa


Site URL: http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/ccc/ccchome.htm
Comments to: Joan Swanekamp  <joan.swanekamp@yale.edu>

Last revision: 8/05/03

© 2003 Yale University Library

Top of Page