(External Candidates Only)
ULS SML Collections
Schedule/shift: Full Time - 37.5 HRS; Weekdays 8:30am to 5:00pm
Internal applicants send bids to: Bernadette Cioffi, 120 High Street
FIXED until 2 years from date of hire
Under the immediate supervision of the Hebraica Team leader, oversees and performs a range of cataloging and processing functions for Yiddish language materials in all subjects. This includes cataloging of serials with LC and member copy, and original cataloging of belles-lettres. Responsibilities also include analyzing bibliographical records, solving complex bibliographic problems, performing initial work in authority establishment and applying bibliographic knowledge to various complex cataloging situations.
Essential Duties of Position
1. Perform a full range of copy cataloging with LC and member copy using RLG bibliographic utility and Orbis.
2. Perform original cataloging for belles-lettres, including the assignment of LC classification call numbers and selection of choice of entry and determination of access points.
3. Perform complex copy cataloging for serials and multi?part monographs in print and electronic formats.
4. Perform complex catalog maintenance activities in local cataloging system and national bibliographic file(s). This may include updating bibliographic information, transfers between locations, withdrawals/deletions, updating holdings, etc.
5. Resolve problems with complex bibliographic and holdings records.
6. Assist in the retrospective conversion project for Yiddish language materials.
7. May shelve and retrieve materials from backlog, and push heavy book trucks.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Training
1.Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or four years related work experience and an Associate degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
2. Preferred: Experience in the use of RLIN, Voyager, or comparable online bibliographic system. Computer skills including Windows workstation and word processing skills.
Knowledge of Hebrew. Familiarity with 19th-20th century Jewish history and literature.
Skills and Abilities
1. Strong reading knowledge of Yiddish. Alternatively, strong reading ability in German and Hebrew.
2. Previous work experience which demonstrates consistency and dependability in performing work assignments and following detailed procedures.
3. Ability for work effectively and efficiently with colleagues in a close environment and a demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships in a changing environment.
4. References must indicate reliable attendance and punctuality, accuracy and attention to detail, and consistency and dependability in performing work assignments and following detailed procedures.
5. Strong analytical ability and problem-solving skills.
6. Ability to lift heavy books and push heavy book trucks.
© 2007 Yale University Library
This file last modified 04/07/05
Send comments to email@example.com