Notes from April 25, 2000 E-cat. comm. meeting

AGENDA item 1: UPDATE ON RECORDS FOR EBSCO PRODUCTS

We began with an update on the loading of records for the 2 EBSCO products (Academic Search Elite and Business Source Premier). These should be loaded in ORBIS this Friday night. They are in Orbdev now in the record range gaa0000 to gaa2228. Since the indexes in Orbdev are not run regularly, I've updated a few of the records so we can see what they might look like to the public. Try T=SOCIOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVES to see a sample of how these display in the indexes and how the record appears in the public view.

Two issues were seen as highly important. First, one can't tell which record in the index is for the print version and which is for the e-version of the title. We suspect that this will be the most immediate problem identified by the public services staff. Second, the URL in each record leads to the EBSCO host site and not to the title described in the record. We suspect this will be the next most pressing problem.

Beacom has written a note to his contact at EBSCO asking three questions. 1. When will the update to the current record set be ready? 2. When will the records have URLs that link directly to the title described in the record? 3. When will the titles in the EBSCO products be organized by vols. and issues rather than just by articles, i.e. organized in a journal title browse mode in addition to the current journal title search mode?

We are waiting for a response.

ACTIONS:

Beacom will write a message to YULIB-L on Monday announcing the load (after making sure it did load!) Comments from staff about the records should be sent to Beacom at matthew.beacom@yale.edu. He will forward such comments to the e-cat group.

AGENDA ITEM 5: UPDATE ON LISTS OF E-STUFF ON YUL WEBSITES

Kim Parker reported that she and Karen Reardon are developing an MS Access database to track various aspects of information about e-journals at Yale. This is in an early phase of development but has much promise both for administration of e-resources and for publishing lists of e-resource on YUL Web sites. The files in the database are being converted on the fly to HTML for display to the public. This may become a replacement for the Research Workstation E-journals page. Take a look at the early version at http://130.132.179.230/ejournalsintro.asp

Another development that has a few correspondences to the above is the latest additions to the ORBIS URLs report. Joel Felber added the 655 (genre tracing) field to the initial extract from Orbis, and John Coleman has added a filter to the report that sorts the records in alphabetical order by title and can also sort by genre heading, e.g. Electronic journals, Online databases, etc. In short, we now have a monthly report of all the e-journals in Orbis in alphabetical order. This work is not a fully featured Web page that is ready for patrons. It is more of a proof-of-concept. Take a look at the broken URLs report at http://kokopeli.library.yale.edu/local/linkcheck/frameset.html

Choose the Sorting/655 Demos link to see John's and Joel's latest.

On a related topic, Kim Parker reported that the Medical Library's database approach to e-journals in medicine may soon be expanded to include e-journals in the sciences. We look forward to hearing more about this at our next meetings.

ACTIONS:

No actions were assigned.

AGENDA ITEM 2. FOLLOW UP ON LOADING SETS OF RECORDS FOR E-STUFF

Now that loading the EBSCO records is almost done, how do we make sure this kind of thing becomes routine? Among the questions before us are: What other sets are in our collections or about to be that have sets of records available for us to download? Who sets the priorities? How do we let selectors know about this? What about the Chadwyck-Healey tapes? What about the records for Early English Books Online? Are those two the near and far term projects, respectively?

We discussed the proposal made by Audrey Novak that was summarized in the Agenda.

We decided that what needs to be done may be best divided into two parts. One part is the work of selectors--identifying the aggregated resources (collections, databases, etc.) that are candidates for cataloging the content and prioritizing those candidates. The other part is finding record sets or other sources, evaluating the record content, drafting preliminary specs, etc. The former was seen by those in attendance today to be something that another group--perhaps a sub-committee of CDC--should undertake. The latter was seen as suitable for our committee to take on. Maggie Powell noted that whatever group acts on this, the group must solicity widely among selectors for suggestions. We may need to form our own sub-group to work on this project, but we didn't create one today.

ACTIONS:

Beacom will draft a check list using the structure suggested by Novak and test it using at least the Chadwyck-Healey collections and the Early English Books Online as examples.

Beacom will ask the chair of CDC to put a discussion of this responsibility on CDC's agenda.

AGENDA ITEM 3: Update on Chadwyck-Healey

We are pretty much ready to go with the spec on the Chadwyck-Healey records.

ACTIONS:

Beacom, Powell, and Van Meter will check the current spec, send it to the members of this committee for review, then send the spec to Kalee Sprague in LSO Database Administration for action.

Beacom will get this item formally on the Library's systems priority list.

AGENDA ITEM 4: Changes to the default call number in ORBIS hdlgs records.

We do not think we are ready to request the change from LSO yet, but after much discussion, the assembled members thought the following option for a new location phrase and new call number substitute would be best.

LOCATION: CALL NUMBER: STATUS:

Internet Online Resource Enter HOL 1 for holdings

This phrasing provides the most meaningful and generic information to the reader so it is useful to readers in all cases and not misleading. Yale Digital Library while highly attractive to certain members seemed less clearly intelligible for readers and potentially misleading. Other possible terms for the substitute call number were discussed and should be considered still viable. Those are "Electronic Resource" "Online Resource" and "Digital Resource."

ACTIONS:

All members will talk about this with their constituencies, e.g. Maggie Powell will ask RSC about it; Carol Jones will ask Science librarians about it; etc. All will report comments from their constituencies by our next meeting.

AGENDA ITEM 6: UPDATE ON PROPOSED FORUM ON THE CATALOGS, THE COLLECTIONS, AND THE INTERNET

The members agreed that the forum concept was flawed and graciously accepted that it would not happen.The members also agreed that a series on the topic of metadata would be highly useful to staff and they agreed to create a sub-committee responsible for the series of forums. Maggie Powell insisted that we keep each forum to a one hour length. So the group decided to call the series "Metadata in 60 minutes."

The potential speakers include Beacom (overview, CORC?), Ann Green of Social Science Data Archives (on the DDI DTD--like an EAD for numeric data sets), Audrey Novak (a primer on data structures? a intro to LMSs?), Susan Williams of Arts library on metadata for images and access to images, etc. Ideas for others will be solicted by the members of the sub-committee. That sub-committee will include: Beacom, Laurel Bliss, and probably Carol Jones. Others are welcome to volunteer.

ACTION:

The forum series sub committee will meet by our next meeting and present a draft plan for the series then.

AGENDA ITEM 7. Policies on cataloging e-stuff that isn't journals or online databases.

We set up a sub committee to address the need for draft policies on e-books or e-monographs and e-reproductions. Members of the sub-committee include:

Tony Oddo, chair, Paula Ball. We have just responded to the draft LCRI on electronic reproductions and it was suggested by Beacom that the committee use that response and the draft LCRI as (conflicting) starting points for our policies on e-reproductions.

ACTIONS: The sub committee will solicit others to join the committe and will seek out staff from school and departmental libraries. They'll meet before our next meeting and report on status then.

Next meeting is May 9th in SML 411 at 10:30 to 12 noon.

Notes submitted by Matthew Beacom.