NOTES from the 5/9/00 meeting of the E-cat. committee

topics covered today.

EBSCO load
Future loads of cataloging for aggregations or vendor products
Chadwyck-Healey
Substitute call numbers for e-stuff
Policies and procedures for e-monographs
Forum series on access and metadata

EBSCO load.

The @2200 records we loaded into ORBIS the night of 4/27/00. No problems encountered in the loading.

Beacom sent an announcment to yulib-l a week later (sorry about that.) Only comments back regarding the content of the records was from Kim, who pointed out that the URL in the records is not as desirable or as familiar to Yale users as those we use in the RW pages.

Sue Roberts asked for a shorter version of the yulib-l announcement for inclusion in _Note Bene_.

ACTIONS: Beacom will draft the shorter version and send to Roberts by end of next week.

Future loads of cataloging for aggregations or vendor products

Beacom was to have drafted a check-list or database for C-H and EEBO as test cases. Has not done so yet.

Beacom talked to the chair of CDC about the need for CDC to consider its own actions relating to future loads, i.e. What other sets of records for sets of e-resources are there? What priority order do we think these sets should have?

ACTIONS:

Beacom will draft the check list before our next meeting (June 6, 2000)

Beacom will write a note to the chair of CDC.

Substitute call numbers for e-stuff

RSC discussed the options presented in our last meeting and thought changing the loc to Internet (from Internet Resource) was a good idea. They were interested in having the URL for the resource be the substitute call number, but understood that URLs were poor candidates for a variety of reasons (not all of which are specific to NOTIS).

ACTIONS:

Committee decided to use Internet as LOC phrase and Online Resource as the substitute call number itself.

Beacom will ask Database Admin to change the text in the NOTIS tables per the location text for the code "yul,int".

Beacom will ask staff in Catalog Mgt Team about a possible time table for a global change of the current substitute call number (electronic text) for the Online Resource.

Policies and procedures for e-monographs

Tony Oddo reported on the activities of the newly formed sub-group. Members are: Tony Oddo, chair, Rosemary Plotnick, Paula Ball, Jim Shetler, and Mattew Beacom. They had one meeting so far. We discussed the possible use of CONSER-like uniform titles for online resources (add "Online" to title proper and use the result as a uniform title) in monograph records. This is not seen as a suitable approach for monographs, i.e. it would be a non-standard kludge. However, this issue led to a discussion of what the group should concentrate on as they work to think through and draft their recommendations. 1. display to public, 2. single or separate record approaches, 3. what is a digital reproduction/new edition, 4. I can't remember.

ACTIONS:

Tony will organize the next meeting in the next week.

Forum series on access and metadata

Carol Jones, Laurel Bliss, Sue Lorimer, and Matthew Beacom are on the sub committe to work on this. They have exchanged a few emails but have not meet yet. Topic is pretty clear. Who will speak about what is under development. We could have as many as 8 talks. We have speakers lined up on 3. Beacom on an introductory talk, Williams on images and VRA, and Green on numbers and DDI. We need to line up folks for MARC, EAD, CORC, and XML/RDF. (If we hire a GIS (maps,etc.) person, he/she would be the presenter.)

Location options include SML lecture hall, SML 409 (assuming relatively small # of attendees), or Linsly Chit 101 (assuming a summer or non-term schedule).

Timing the series. We seem to have three options. 1. Start now, break for summer, finish in fall. 2. Start now and go through the summer. 3. Wait for fall. Start in Oct. and finish in Dec.

Any decision on which to follow will depend on the availability and prepardness of the presenters. Going early with the series gets it done, and it may fit well with thinking about the new LMS that is coming. Going late with the series (mid to late fall/early winter), postpones work to a later date (the procrasinator's goal), gives presenters a resonable amount of advance to prepare, and may have the best timing for largest audience.

I'm leaning toward fall. Others?

ACTION: Beacom (or other sub-group member) will get the group to meet and decide on timing first.

Next meeting is June 6.