(Fiscal Year 2006/2007)
Our primary goal is to continue our work in the unlocking of hidden collections by cataloging at a high level of quality and quantity, keeping in mind our long-term goal of staying current with the cataloging of new Beinecke acquisitions and transfers. To achieve this, we will:
- catalog 10,000 non-serial titles. Specifically, we will focus on several collections this year including Robert Graves, Langston Hughes, Shirley and Worlds Fair; continue to recatalog the College Pamphlet Collection; eliminate the backlog of Priority 1's; and remain current in the cataloging of red flags, Priority 1's, broadsides and folios;
- catalog 3,500 serial volumes. Specifically, we will continue the cataloging of the Delta newspapers, while staying current with subscription adds to already cataloged serials;
- contribute records to NACO;
- support Beinecke Library's digital initiatives;
- remain current with the cataloging of vernacular languages material; and
- remain current with the cataloging of Beinecke microfilm titles.
We will work together effectively as a team. Specifically, we will:
- meet regularly for group discussions;
- make our decisions by consensus, whenever possible;
- respond flexibly to the changing priorities of Beinecke;
- update the Rare Book Team homepage and the cataloging manual as needed;
- apply new template and cascading style sheets for manual pages;
- share documents and expertise gained by attendance at conferences, workshops and Rare Book School; and
- evaluate quarterly our progress in meeting these goals.
In order to achieve our goals, we will:
- more fully utilize Macro Express;
- have all catalogers work towards NACO independence; and
- explore ways in which we can improve workflow efficiencies for digital initiatives at Beinecke; and
- hire and train an additional cataloging assistant.
We will work with Beinecke Technical Services staff:
- to maintain good cataloging workflow;
- maximize use of the Rare Book Team workstations in Beinecke;
- examine current processes to eliminate duplication of effort and increase production; and
- develop a cross-training plan between Technical Services and the Rare Book Team.
The librarians on the team will make appropriate contributions to the library and profession.