(Fiscal Year 2013/2014)
Our primary goal is to continue our work in the unlocking of hidden collections by cataloging at a high level of quality and quantity, keeping in mind our long-term goal of staying current with the cataloging of new Beinecke acquisitions and transfers. To achieve this, we will:
- catalog 11,000 non-serial titles, both new and recat. Specifically, we will focus on several collections this year including Tanselle, Bailey, Richards' Kipling, Hohenzollern, Bettina Bergery, Wolff Photoplays; continue to recatalog the College Pamphlet Collection and the Peruvian pamphlet collection; and remain current in the cataloging of red flags, Priority 1's, broadsides and folios;
- catalog 5,000 serial volumes, both new and recat. Specifically, we will catalog the Bailey, German periodicals, newspapers and continue the cataloging of the general serial backlog;
- adapt to new cataloging standard (RDA) for bibliographic and authority records;
- contribute records to NACO and have all catalogers work towards NACO independence;
- resolve cataloging problems as they arise; and
- complete cataloging of Beinecke microfilm titles.
We will work together effectively as a team. Specifically, we will:
- plan and prepare for the move to Beinecke 2;
- meet regularly for group discussions;
- make our decisions by consensus, whenever possible;
- respond flexibly to the changing priorities of Beinecke;
- update the Rare Book Team homepage and the cataloging manual as needed;
- share expertise gained by attendance at conferences, workshops and Rare Book School; and
- evaluate quarterly our progress in meeting these goals.
We will work with Beinecke staff to:
- train and oversee students and Access Services staff in barcoding projects;
- maintain good cataloging workflow;
- maximize use of the Rare Book Team workstations in Beinecke;
- examine current processes to eliminate duplication of effort and increase production;
- assist in training and supervising Printed Acquisitions staff in cataloging and serial adds;
- participate in Beinecke Technical Services training programs; and
- participate in the staffing of the Beinecke Reference desk.
The librarians on the team will make appropriate contributions to the library and profession.