November 29, 2005
CIRCULATION SUPPORT GROUP
Rick Bean (Chair), Marybeth Bean, Susan Burdick, Patrick Butler, Sue Crockford-Peters,
Victoria Gardner, Cindy Greenspun, Pam Jordan, Beatrice Luh, Dana Peterman
(Recording), Carla Heister, Este Pope, Lisa C. Thomas, Melissa A. Wisner
spring validation stickers are now good through summer.
Send questions regarding this change to Cindy Greenspun via e-mail.
procedures to be distributed via e-mail next week (week of December 5,
This document will be aligned with Cataloging's and addresses such issues
as bibliographic records without items attached. Other school and departmental
libraries with technical units may have slight variations.
Security Group requests that all libraries apply the status of missing
to books as soon as they are determined unavailable.
of Draft Unicode Documents & Orbis Release 5.0 Discussion
of Orbis this Season
This 8 1/2" x 11" color sign informs readers of changes in services.
It will be distributed by e-mail, mailed by Barbara DaRe, and placed on
the CSG (http://www.library.yale.edu/csg/) and Library Staff Front Door
(http://www.library.yale.edu/~fdstaff/) websites for printing.
· S. Burdick asked that the term "paging" be changed
to "place request" or " retrieval" to reflect patron
and library language.
· M. Bean requested that the document refer more to services that
are available rather than those that are not to create a more positive
document for the reader.
· S. Burdick requested that a date be written on the document to
specify when it would take effect.
· P. Butler inquired how the document would be distributed (see
This one page document provides a color-coded overview of the Unicode
release using a timeline.
Document revision suggestions
· D. Peterman requested that the four libraries affected be listed
(i.e. Sterling Memorial Library, Cross Campus Library, Harvey Cushing/John
Hay Whitney Medical Library, Kline Science Library)
of the Orbis release discussion
· S. Crockford-Peters mentioned that serious problems would lead
to aborting the release.
· M. A. Wisner estimated that the work would take four days, but
we have six days to account for extenuating circumstances. Near the end
of the process, she will be checking to ensure its success.
· M. A. Wisner emphasized that all personnel coming to work on
January 3, 2006 must check e-mail before beginning work in any Orbis module.
· S. Crockford-Peters that all units must wait to discharge materials
until all offline circulation materials are uploaded from computers. The
projected date and time are January 3, 2006 after 9am.
· S. Crockford-Peters said that SML and CCL's charge out slips
would be an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper with a specific design
circulated to CSG members at a later date.
· R. Bean indicated that Medical Library would continue to stamp
items with a uniform date.
· M. A. Wisner said that she would coordinate sending out an e-mail
after all circulation uploads are complete.
· Several staff noted that charge outs may be conducted throughout
January 3, 2006.
· R. Bean asked about the dateline for installing new printers
at circulation locations. According to M. A. Wisner, all new printers
will be installed by December 22, 2005.
· V. Gardner volunteered to do all uploading of circulation transactions
should inclement weather prevent regular staff from coming to work on
· C. Greenspun will be creating "blank patrons" to account
for library visitors starting December 22, 2005 until the upgrade is complete.
Blank patrons will be allowed the same privileges as those with a stack
pass from December 22 through January 2. The Patron Group will be meeting
to detail this information on December 5 from 1 to 2pm to flesh out the
· C. Greenspun indicated that a blanket due date will be created
to make items due 21 days from the initial period that Orbis is down to
better identify materials affected during that time.
· S. Crockford-Peters mentioned that course reserves should be
completely down by December 17, 2005 to better facilitate the transition
(see also, http://www.library.yale.edu/csg/docs.html#cr for course reserve
· S. Crockford-Peters suggested that in addition to designating
areas for returns, libraries may wish to identify which books were returned
on what date.
· The last bursar transfer will be on December 26, 2005 and will
resume on Tuesday, January 3, 2006.
· New Orbis clients will be deployed on January 3, 2006.
· Though receipt printers will be ready by December 22, 2005, all
paper must be ordered about 10 days in advance. S. Burdick will fax an
order form to Access Services and Vincent DeFeo (aka Vinny) so that the
process may begin.
· S. Crockford-Peters asked M. A. Wisner to remind all technical
services personnel that if they see an offline circulation option available,
they are not to use it. In general, technical services staff should not
ever use the offline circulation option.
Activity for the 2005/2006 Winter Intercession and Orbis 5 Upgrade
This document was only referred to in support of the one page timeline,
but it contains a great deal of detail about the release process.
Circulation Memo No. 2: Procedures for circulating materials when Orbis
Covering Orbis offline circulation, this 14-page document contains highly
detailed instructions with screenshots.
Document revision suggestions
· Local documentation should be used to supplement this document.
· On-the-fly procedures (an example of one local procedure) will
be changed in this document by December 11 (Sunday) and this document
will be completed by December 13, 2005.
· The section on confidentiality needs revision because of technical
changes. A way must be found to save data from the upload to a file -
either by burning it on a CD-ROM or through some other means.
· Saved, uploaded files from circulation should be given to Chris
Killheffer to document and resolve any potential billing problems.
summary about a Unicode/Release 5 feature!
Documents ability to view location where fined items returned (i.e. "happening
location") in patron records.
· Several comments were made regarding this feature indicating
that Endeavor, Voyager's producer, did not meet its contractual obligation
in this change.
· Library staff had assumed that this feature would allow fines
from specific libraries that owned the items could be filtered.
distributed and discussed:
1. New Version
of Orbis this Season - written by Cindy Greenspun (distributed in print
only) - 1 page.
2. Unicode/Release 5.0 - written by Rick Bean and Melissa Wisner (filename:
Timeline.doc) - 1 page.
3. Circulation Activity for the 2005/2006 Winter Intercession and Orbis
5 Upgrade - written by Melissa Wisner to detail Unicode/Release 5.0 (filename:
2TimelineAnnotation.doc) - 6 pages.
4. ORBIS (VOYAGER) Circulation Memo No. 2: Procedures for circulating
materials when Orbis is down written by Rick Bean and Sue Crockford-Peters,
revised by Rick Bean (filename: circ.memo1.doc) - 14 pages.
5. A short summary about a Unicode/Release 5 feature! - written by Cindy
Greenspun (distributed in print only) - 3 pages.
scheduled for Tuesday, December 13, 2005, 2-3:30pm
Members | Meetings | Working
Groups | Documents-
© 2007 Yale University Library
This file last modified 06/28/07
comments about this page? Please contact