A new library service is now available for members of the Yale Community. Scan and Deliver enables digital access to millions of items in the Yale University Library's general print collections by delivering scans to library users' desktops.
The service, launched on Tuesday September 4th, allows current Yale faculty, students, and staff – as well as alumni with borrowing privileges – to submit requests for book chapters and journal articles from the ORBIS and MORRIS library catalogs. If an item is eligible for Scan and Deliver, a 'request' link will appear. Requests are then received by library staff members who will locate, retrieve, and scan the materials within two business days. When the request is ready for download, patrons will receive an email containing a link to access the PDF.
Susan Gibbons, Yale University Librarian, commented, "The print collections of Yale University Library are among the best in the world. We believe our Scan and Deliver service will help to ensure that even in a digital age, the Yale community will continue to explore the riches of our print collections".
Scan and Deliver is free of charge to the Yale community. Patrons may submit as many requests as they like, but the service only guarantees to scan one request per individual per day, and the scanning must comply with copyright guidelines, so planning ahead for research needs will be key.
For more information about this new service, please consult the Scan and Deliver web page.
Periodicals available through JSTOR
The Yale University Library system now has access to the JSTOR Current Scholarship Program Complete package. This package includes 232 current titles from 38 publishers. The complete list of titles in the package is available here: http://about.jstor.org/participate-jstor/libraries/current-scholarship-program/title-list. Connect to JSTOR from the " Full List of all Yale Databases" link on the Divinity Library website.
New titles added to ATLASerials
The American Theological Library Association (ATLA) has announced that eight titles that will be available in forthcoming releases of ATLASerials ®, ATLA's online full-text collection of more than 200 major religion and theology journals. The ATLA database is available to the Yale community and to YDS alumni/ae. Alumni/ae should contact the library at firstname.lastname@example.org for connection information.
The new titles to be added to ATLASerials are:
- Chaplaincy Today , an electronic only journal by Association of Professional Chaplains
- Comparative and Continental Philosophy , by Equinox Publishing Ltd.
- Implicit Religion , by Equinox Publishing Ltd.
- Road to Emmaus , by Christ the Savior Orthodox Brotherhood
- Rural Theology , by Equinox Publishing Ltd.
- Theologische Rundschau , by Mohr Siebeck
- Zeitschrift fur Dialektische Theologie , by Protestantse Theologische Universiteit im Kampen
- Zeitschrift fur Theologie und Kirche , by Mohr Siebeck
Heritage Edition of the Saint John's Bible on display in Day Missions Reading Room
Four volumes from the Heritage Edition of the Saint John's Bible are currently on display in the Day Missions Reading Room. The Saint John's Bible is the only handwritten and illuminated Bible commissioned by a Benedictine Monastery since the advent of the printing press more than 500 years ago. The Heritage Edition is a work of art in itself, a fine art reproduction of the original manuscript created under the direction of Donald Jackson, the artistic director of the original manuscript. Only 299 sets of the Heritage Edition were created. The Yale acquisition represents a collaboration between the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, and the Yale Institute of Sacred Music, and will be housed at the Divinity Library. For more information about The Saint John's Bible, please visit www.saintjohnsbible.org .
Endnote X5 available to Yale community
Yale ITS and the Yale Library system are now able to offer the latest desktop version of EndNote X5 as part of the ITS Software Library (www.yale.edu/software), so that all students, faculty, and staff with a valid Net ID will be able to install the software on work and personal computers, including laptops and home computers . Endnote X5 can also integrate seamlessly with EndNote Web, a web-based version of EndNote that is part of the ISI Web of Knowledge.
The announcement made by ITS is at this link:
Additional BookScan station available
The Library now has two BookScan stations available in L107. These workstations provide free scanning to USB drives or to email.
The American Theological Library Association has announced that ATLASerials ( ATLAS ®), ATLA's online full-text collection of major religion and theology journals, has reached a milestone of digitizing 200 titles. ATLA welcomes the following five titles newly available in ATLAS .
- Bulletin for Biblical Research , by Eisenbrauns
- Fides et Historia , by Conference on Faith and History, Calvin College
- Journal of Shi'a Islamic Studies , published on behalf of The Islamic College, London, United Kingdom
- Journal of Theological Interpretation , by Eisenbrauns
- Science et Esprit , by Facultés Collège dominicain de philosophie et de théologie d'Ottawa and Editions Bellarmin
In addition, ATLA welcomes the following ten titles that will be available in forthcoming releases of ATLAS .
- Baptistic Theologies , by International Baptist Theological Seminary
- Hartford Quarterly , by Hartford Seminary Foundation
- Journal of Church and State , by Oxford University Press, on behalf of the J. M. Dawson Institute of Church-State Studies of Baylor University
- Journal of Clinical Pastoral Work , the predecessor to Journal of Pastoral Care , by Council for Clinical Training
- Journal of Semitic Studies , by Oxford University Press, on behalf of the University of Manchester
- Journal of Theological Studies , by Oxford University Press
- Orate Fratres , the predecessor to Worship , by Liturgical Press
- Springfielder , the predecessor to Concordia Theological Monthly , by Concordia Theological Seminary
- Théophilyon , by Facultés de Théologie et de Philosophie de l'Université Catholique de Lyon
- Wesleyan Theological Journal , by Wesleyan Theological Society
Harvard Joins Borrow Direct
Harvard University is now lending materials from selected libraries as participants in the Borrow Direct program. These initial libraries are Widener Library, Countway Library of Medicine, and Andover-Harvard Theological Library. The Harvard Depository will also begin filling requests for materials placed there by these three libraries.
New Research Guides: Biographical Resources for Religious Studies and
Geographical Resources for Religious Studies
Check out these new research guides. Biographical Resources for Religious Studies provides links to biographical resources for religious studies, including books, e-books, databases, and web sites. Geographical Resources for Religious Studies includes the best resources for maps, atlases, gazeteers, and databases for topics on religion.
Check out the full list of research guides available on the library's Subject Guides & Tutorials page. These subject guides are intended to guide you toward the best resources available at the Divinity Library for your research. The guides are also interactive, allowing you to let us know what works (and what doesn't!) for you, and enabling you to tell us about resources you know of that may be of interest to other library patrons. Let us know what you think!
New library service: Instant Message a Divinity Librarian
Need help from a librarian, but you're not anywhere near the library? Don't worry, the library now provides a new Instant Messaging service. The service will be available most of the time from 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday. You can either use the Send a Message box, below to type your message:
or, if you have your own IM account through AIM, GoogleTalk, or Yahoo, you can send a message that way:
When the service is available you should receive a response from one of the librarians within a few minutes. The service is active when the box says:
- Divinity Librarian is online
When the service is not active, you will see one of the following:
- Divinity Librarian is offline
- Divinity Librarian is away
You can still send a message when the librarian is away or offline, but you will not receive a response right away.
For more information on this new service, go to our new Reference Services page.