Size of Print Materials
As of June 2012, the East Asia Library has holdings of monographs, serials, microforms, manuscripts, and government documents as follows:
|Monographs||Serials||Other materials (Microfilms, CD-ROM, etc.)
|521,586 volumes (Chinese)||2052
|277,284 volumes (Japanese)|
|15,888 volumes (Korean)|
- Chinese archaeology
- Buddhism in China and Japan
- History of Japanese institutional development, particularly the late feudal period
- Modern history of China and Japan
- Chinese and Japanese History of art
- Languages and linguistics
- Literatures, especially modern Chinese literature since 1919
- Chinese and Japanese Economics
East Asia Reading Room is located on the second floor of Sterling Memorial Library. Currently the Reading Room contains the following materials:
- East Asia Reference Collection (in Room 219), including
- Reference books in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, integrated into one single collection.
- Selected English-language reference books on East Asia.
- Bound volumes of four major East Asian studies journals: China Quarterly, Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies, Journal of Asian Studies and Journal of Japanese Studies. Yale researchers can also get full text articles directly by searching the online journal list.
- Current issues of Chinese, Japanese and Korean periodicals (SML 222); please note this exception: periodicals published semi-annually will be sent to the SML stacks directly instead of the East Asia Reading Room.
- Current issues of selected English-language journals in Asian studies (SML 222); current issues of other English-language journals are being displayed in the main Periodical Reading Room on the first floor of SML.
Most books and bound journals in East Asian languages are inter-shelved with Western-language materials in the Sterling Memorial Library stacks. The best way to find materials in the Sterling stacks is to search Orbis, find the call number of the book, and then use the Sterling Stacks Directory to locate the book.
Starr Main Reference Room
The Starr Main Reference Room is located in the nave of SML, next to the Circulation Desk. It has English-language reference sources related to East Asia and bilingual dictionaries.
Microform Reading Room
The Microform Reading Room is located in the basement of SML. It contains a large number of East Asian newspapers in microform (click here for the floor map). To find if a newspaper is in the collection, you can search the Foreign Newspapers on Microform database. Please note that this database is not updated often, so you may also need to search Orbis to check the current status as well as new arrivals.
Periodical Reading Room
The Periodical Reading Room in the SML nave (near the High Street entrance) has the recent issues of some English-language periodicals on East Asia on display. The current issues of core English-language periodicals on East Asia are in the East Asia Reading Room.
Manuscripts and Archives
Manuscripts and Archives is located on the first floor of SML, near the Wall Street entrance. It has many materials related to East Asia, for example, the Yale-China Association archives.