The Yale University Library users now have the access to two NEW Chinese resources, The People’s Daily 人民日报 and ProQuest Historical Newspapers: Chinese Newspapers Collection (1832-1953). Both have been added to the Library’s Orbis online catalog, Summon database list, and Chinese Studies subject guide.
The People’s Daily 人民日报 is the most influential and authoritative newspaper in China. It is the official voice of the central government of the People's Republic of China and the Chinese Communist Party. This internet version covers all issues from 1946 to present. The database is updated daily with full-text searchable function. For best user experience, the publisher suggests to make Internet Explorer as the default browser.
ProQuest Historical Newspapers: Chinese newspapers collection (1832-1953) includes the following 12 important English language newspapers published in China:
• North China Herald (1850-1941)
• Canton Times (1919-1920)
• China Critic (1939-1946)
• The China Press (1925-1938)
• China Weekly Review (1917-1953)
• Chinese Recorder (1868-1940)
• Chinese Repository (1832-1851)
• Peking Daily News (1914-1917)
• Peking Gazette (1915-1917)
• Peking Leader (1918-1919)
• Shanghai Gazette (1919-1921)
• Shanghai Times (1914-1921)
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the databases. You are also welcome to schedule an individual session to learn more about any Chinese online resources.