Locating Special Collections of Digital Images in and around Connecticut
This list provides annotated links to special collections of digital images from in and around Connecticut, as well as free sources of images that can be used in classroom teaching. Comments and additions can be sent to Kathrine.Aydelott@yale.edu.
Some access to images may be restricted for copyright reasons.
- Connecticut History Online
More than 14,000 photographs, drawings, and prints about the history of Connecticut from the early nineteenth to the mid-twentieth century.
- The Map and Geographic Information Center at the University of Connecticut
Includes scanned maps of Connecticut, 1676-1930, and Connecticut geospatial data.
- Steam and Electric Locomotives of the New Haven Railroad Digital Collection
Four hundred-sixty images from the extensive Fred Otto Makowsky Collection held at the Dodd Special Collections Center at the University of Connecticut.
Yale Library Digital Collections (all publicly accessible):
- Arts of the Book Ephemera Collection
A sample about 200 ephemera images collected since the 1980s documenting lesser known artists and exhibit spaces.
- Beinecke Digital Library Cross-Collection Search
Photonegatives, Digital Images Online, The Marinetti Libroni Collection, Papyrus Database
- China Christian Colleges and Universities Image Database
Images from the Archives of the United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia and the Archives of the Trustees of Lingnan University.
- Divinity Digital Image and Text Library
Image resources for the history of Christianity and Bible studies.
- Historical New Haven Digital Collection
Created for Professor Douglas Rae's course on The American City.
- Internet Mission Photography Archive
Historical images from Protestant and Catholic missionary collections held at a number of centers in Britain, continental Europe, and North America.
- Lewis Walpole Library Digital Collection
Eighteenth-century caricatures, political satire prints, and prints, drawings and watercolors related to Horace Walpole's collection and house at Strawberry Hill.
- Manuscripts and Archives Digital Image Database
Photographs, posters, drawings, and other materials from the Yale University Manuscripts and Archives research collections.
- Medical Library Digital Library Collections
A growing collection of digital resources from the Cushing/Whitney Digital Library.
- New Haven Health
Information, including images, of the past and present health of the greater New Haven community.
Other free online image resources:
Other pages of useful image links:
* The Davis Educational Foundation was established by Stanton and Elisabeth Davis after his retirement as chairman of Shaw's Supermarkets, Inc.