- Early American Fiction (Alexandria, VA: Chadwyck-Healey
- Early American Fiction contains the full text of over 400 novels and short
stories written before 1850. In all, 81 authors are represented in the collection.
Fully searchable. For more information, see the online description
by the publisher.
- Early English Prose Fiction (Alexandria, VA:
- Early English Prose Fiction is a full-text archive of over 200 works written
in the 16th and 17th centuries. It includes a wide variety of works and is
fully searchable by author, title, keyword, date range, and author's gender.
For more information, see the publisher's
- Electronic Beowulf (London: British Library;
Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 1999)
- Electronic Beowulf is a collection of digital images of the composite codex
Cotton Vitellius A.xv, including both the Southwick and Nowell Codices (which
contains the manuscript of Beowulf). Also includes images of supplemental
18th- and 19th-century materials: the transcripts Thorkelin A and B, the Conybeare
collation, and the Madden collation. Also includes SGML-encoded transcription
of the poem, fully searchable. A supplemental CD contains high-resolution
images of the codex. For more information, read the publisher's
description of the collection.
- Encarta Africana (Redmond, WA: Microsoft,
- This CD-rom is an African and African-American interactive encyclopedia,
compiled under the supervision of Kwame A. Appiah, Henry Louis Gates Jr. and
Wole Soyinka. Over 5000 articles, maps and clips, historical timeline, virtual
tours of African and African American neighborhoods (i.e. Harlem, NYC), numerous
integrated web links.
- Encyclopaedia Judaica (Israel: Judaica Multimedia
***NOW IN SML CD-ROM REFERENCE CENTER, WORKSTATION 2***
- This CD-rom edition includes the complete text of the original 16-volume
Encyclopaedia Judaica, as well as the subsequent 8 Year Books and 2 Decennials
(published in 1982 and 1992, respectively), plus selected updates and new
feature articles prepared under the guidance and supervision of Dr. Geoffrey
Wigoder. This CD-ROM is updated; multiple new feature articles are not available
in any of the printed versions of the Encyclopaedia.
- Encyclopedia of Judaism & Dictionary of Jewish
Biography (Chicago, IL: Davka Corporation, 1996)
- The Encyclopedia... is an English-language, one-volume encyclopedia
of Judaism. Authorities have contributed over 1000 articles, covering a variety
of topics, from biographical entries on heroic rabbis to the customs and traditions
of Jewish communities.
- The Dictionary... contains about 1000 biographies of Jewish individuals.
It includes figures from various fields: writers, philosophers, politicians,
Nobel prize winners. It spans 5000 years of history, from Biblical times to
the present day. For more information, read a description
of this software.
- Encyclopedia of World Cultures (New York, NY:
MacMillan Library Reference, 1998)
- This encyclopedia lists and describes more than 1500 cultural groups around
the world. Each article is a descriptive summary of a culture, with information
on its history, demography, economy, religion, and sociopolitical organizations.
The encyclopedia can be searched by keyword, through an alphabetical listing,
or by region.
Poetry Database (online only) (Alexandria, VA: Chadwyck-Healey,
1993 - ) (requires Yale IP)
- The Chadwyck-Healey English Poetry Database on CD-ROM offers a comprehensive,
searchable anthology of English poetry from 600 to 1900. Both well-known and
lesser-known poets are represented, including: Matthew Arnold, Anne Bradstreet,
George, Lord Byron, William Cowper, John Donne, Robert Herrick, Gerard Manley
Hopkins, John Keats, Andrew Marvell, John Milton, Christina Rossetti, Percy
Bysshe Shelley, Alfred Lord Tennyson, William Wordsworth, and Oscar Wilde.
For more information, visit the English
Poetry Database website. Only available online.
Prose Drama: The Full-Text Database (online only) (Alexandria, VA:
- ) (requires Yale IP)
- This database brings together 1,653 prose plays in English literature from
the late 13th century to the end of the 19th century. The database also includes
masques, entertainments, and closet dramas. The entire text of each play is
included and is fully searchable. For more information, visit the English
Prose Drama website, which includes a step-by-step demonstration of the
search function. Only available online.
Verse Drama: The Full-Text Database (online only) (Alexandria, VA:
- ) (requires Yale IP)
- Brings together more than 1,800 works by over 500 named authors and 300
anonymous works, from the late 13th century to the end of the 19th century.
Masques and short dramatic pieces written in verse, selected translations,
and works written for children are included. The database contains the entire
text of each drama, as well as epigraphs, footnotes, endnotes, and dramatis
personae. For more information, visit the English
Verse Drama website. Only available online.
- Ephemeral Films 1931-1960 (New York: Voyager,
- A collection of short films, produced by American industry, education,
and advertising and compiled by Rick Prelinger. "A window into our collective
national psyche." Contains To New Horizons and You Can't Get There
- Epochen der deutschen Literatur (Stuttgart:
P. Reclam, 1998)
- A selection of 18th century German literature texts and extracts, with
subject essays, author studies, bibliographies, and pictures. Complete with
notes, references, and hypertext links.
- España en Guerra (Madrid: BMG, [1996?])
- This CD-ROM is a multimedia presentation of the events of the Spanish Civil
War. Contains video, photographs, audio, and text. Searchable by keyword.
All text and documentation in Spanish.
- SML CD-ROM Reference Center, Workstation 5
© 2007 Yale University Library
This file last modified 10/09/01
Send comments to the SML Reference Desk