Alphabetical Listing of Holdings
Holdings by Subject
Electronic Text Search
- Passage to Syria (Damascus: Future Publishers,
- This English CD-ROM provides a wide range of historical and travel-related
information on the Syrian Arab Republic.
Masters (online only) (Clayton, GA: InteLex
Corporation, 1992) (requires Yale IP)
- Classic texts in the humanities online, including the complete works of
Plato (Greek and English), the complete works of Aristotle, the collected
works of Aquinas, the collected works of British Philosophy from 1600-1900,
and the published works of Wittgenstein. A second CD contains Kierkegaard's
journals and papers, Hegel's Werke vol. 1, and Hegel: The Oxford Translations.
For more information, visit the Past
Masters website. Also available at the Yale
Divinity Library. Only available online.
Latina Database (online only) (Alexandria, VA: Chadwyck-Healey,
1992 - ) (requires Yale IP)
- The Patrologia Latina Database (PLD) will be a comprehensive electronic
version of the Latin portion of Jacques-Paul Migne's massive Patrologiae Cursus
Completus, including notes, glosses and indexes. The Patrologia Latina, though
originally published in the 19th century, still represents the only scholarly
edition of many works. One of the most ambitious electronic publishing efforts
in the humanities to date, the current release of the PLD contains more than
150 of the 221 original volumes. For more information, visit the Patrologia
Latina Database website. This software is also available at the Yale
Divinity Library. Only available online.
- Paulys Realencyclopädie der Classischen Altertumswissenschaft
(Tübingen: Verlag J. B. Metzler)
- A fifteen volume encyclopedia of classical antiquity. 24,000 entries, 700
contributors from 25 countries.
- Pennsylvania Gazette (Malvern, PA : Accessible
Archives, 1991 - )
- Also available online Accessible
- Provides a searchable database of Pennsylvania Gazette newspaper articles
from colonial times. Provides illustrations from the paper as well. For more
information, read a brief description
of this software.
- Performing Arts in Colonial American Newspapers,
1690-1783 (New York: University Music Editions, 1997).
- This database includes all references to music, poetry, theater, and dance
in American colonial newspapers, including French and German newspapers. Over
50,000 full-text citations are available, and more than 235,000 indexed records,
as well as graphic files of colonial woodcuts. The database is fully searchable
- Eva Peron: su vida, su obra, su espiritu...
(Buenos Aires, Argentina: LV&D, 1997)
- An interactive multimedia CD-ROM that contains films, photographs, writings,
and sounds describing the life of Eva Peron. Includes a search engine, a short
biography, commentaries, and other resources on the life of Eva Peron.
- Eva Peron y su Epoca (Buenos Aires, Argentina:
Centro de Altos Estudios Latinoamericanos, 1996)
- This CD-ROM is an interactive multimedia museum of films, writings, and
photographs descriptive of Eva Peron and her era.
- Perseus Project (New Haven, CT: Yale
University Press, 1992)
- This innovative multimedia database contains interactive sources and studies
on Ancient Greece, including primary texts such as Homer's Iliad and Odyssey,
with an English translation by A.T. Murray; Apollodorus, the Library, with
an English translation by Sir James George Frazer; and Aeschylus, with an
English translation by Herbert Wier Smyth. For visual texts, Perseus has a
vast library of over 4,000 vase, sculpture and coin images from collections
such as the Agora Museum and the Acropolis Museum in Athens; the Antikensammlungen
in Munich; the British Museum in London; and the Arthur S. Dewing Collection
in Cambridge, Massachusetts. There are two versions of the Perseus Project,
one on CD-ROM and one on the Web. For more information, read a brief description
of this software, or connect to the Web
version of Perseus Project. (NOTE: The CD-ROM version is more extensive
than the Web version.)
- Petrarca, Francesco: Opera Omnia (Rome: Lexis,
- This database contains the complete works of the founder of the Italian
Umanesimo, Francesco Petrarcha. The software allows concordance and
sequential searching as well as providing an alphabetical listing of the contents.
For more information, read a brief description
of this software.
- PHI (Packard Humanities Institute) demonstration
databases (Los Altos, CA: Packard Humanities Institute, 1993)
- The databases from the Packard Humanities Institute (PHI) largely complement
the Thesaurus Linguae Grecae database. The two
PHI CD-ROMs currently available contain Latin and Bible texts from the Center
for the Computer Analysis of Text at the University of Pennsylvania, the Duke
Data Bank of Documentary Papyri, and texts in Arabic and Coptic. A detailed
list of the contents of PHI CD-ROM #7 is available at Cornell's Greek
Epigraphy Project site. Also available at the Divinity
- SML CD-ROM Reference Center, Workstation 5
- Poem Finder (Great Neck, NY : Roth
Publishing Inc., 1992 - )
- Poem Finder allows you to search for information on poets such as works,
profession, religion, nationality, birthdate, subject matter, and language.
This database includes no text of any poem, except for the first and last
lines, but does contain bits of info about each. For more information, visit
the Poem Finder
- Portraits of Byzantium (Lambrakis Research
- This Multimedia CD-ROM presents Europe's longest-lived empire: Byzantium,
an intriguing link between ancient Greece and Rome and the modern world, between
East and West - a veritable mosaic of peoples and traditions unified by the
medieval Greek cultural tradition. The story of Byzantium is presented here
through a series of 13 PORTRAITS of prominent Byzantines in order to introduce
the user to the major themes, events and aspects of Byzantine history and
culture. Portraits interact with a series of 12 subjects which throw
light on themes such as economic and social life, art and architecture, monasticism,
the empires neighbours, the imperial court and associated topics.
- POESIS (Bologna, Italy: Zanichelli, 1993)
- This CD-ROM database offers a survey of classic and Christian Latin poetry.
- Poetry In Motion (Santa Monica, CA: Voyager,
- Poetry in Motion brings contemporary poetry alive--presenting film footage
of performances by and interviews with poets including: AmiriBaraka, John
Cage, Ntozake Shange, Tom Waits, William S. Burroughs, Jaune Cortez, Robert
Creeley, and many others. For more information, read a description
of this software.
- PROfiles (Norwich: HMSO Electronic Publishing,
- The Public Record Office, HMSO and the Institute of Contemporary British
History have embarked upon a project to put onto CD-ROM a selection of government
documents released annually under the 30 year rule. The selection will contain
facsimile images of approximately 120,000 pages of documents including extracts
from the Prime Minister's office correspondence and papers, Cabinet Minutes
and Cabinet Memoranda. The ETC has Sets 1 through 4 of PROfiles 1964:
- Set 1: Prime Minister's and Cabinet Documents
- Set 2: Documents on External Affairs
- Set 3: Cabinet Committee and Defence Documents
- Set 4: Comprehensive Index and Library CD-ROM
- Puppet Motel: Laurie Anderson with Hsin-Chien Huang
(New York: Voyager, 1995)
- This CD-ROM is itself a piece of performance art by the acclaimed artist
Laurie Anderson with the help of designer Hsin-Chien Huang. The CD allows
the user to interact with the art experience in many different ways. The presentation
includes images, video, and music by Anderson. There is some overlap with
material presented on Anderson's 1995 Nerve Bible tour, as well as
excerpts from Stories from the Nerve Bible.
Send comments to the SML Reference