A new interface to Orbis debuted July 16 as part of a two-and-a-half-year project to replace the computer system that manages library operations. Because of this, the procedure to recall books has changed.
Note: You must now recall materials or place materials on hold from within Orbis.
New Recall Procedure
- Search Orbis, and locate the record for the item you want to recall.
- Click PLACE REQUESTS
- If you aren't already logged on, enter your patron barcode and last name
- Choose RECALL from the drop down menu, and click OK.
- If you want to place a recall on any copy of the item at any location, click the ANY COPY button. If you want to place a recall on a specific copy, choose the copy of the item from the drop down menu.
- Enter your patron barcode.
- Select the location where you want to pick up the item from the PICK UP AT drop down menu.
- Enter the number of days after which you will not need the recall in the NOT NEEDED AFTER text box. Do not leave the number of days blank or your recall may be cancelled by the system.
- Click the OK button to submit your request. Click the RESET button to clear all of the fields.
- Click on NEW SEARCH to resume searching.
Recalls can only be placed for items that are charged out, not for items whose status is Not Checked Out. A recall will allow the current user to keep the book for two weeks from the date it was charged out or for one week from when the recall is placed. When the item is returned it, will be placed on the hold shelf for you at the circulation desk in the library of your choice, and you will be notified by e-mail. If you do not have an active e-mail address, all notices will be sent to your campus address. The item will be returned to the stacks if not picked up after 14 days. All materials are subject to recall after 2 weeks. Periodical volumes are subject to recall without any waiting period.
Once you've placed a recall on an item, you can check its status by accessing Your Library Account.
© 2007 Yale University Library
This file last modified 06/05/02
Send comments to email@example.com