ENTRANCE TO READING ROOM
STERLING MEMORIAL LIBRARY
Moving the books from Saybrook to New
Haven, 1718, Moving the books from
Linsly Hall to the
Sterling Memorial Library, 1930.
in decorative space above the door, representing
the various-buildings in which the
Yale Library has
been housed, with the names and dates
above the shields:
Russel House, Branford, 1701.
The figure on
the left of the door is a Colonial Clergyman,
First College building, 1717-1763.
Old Chapel, 1825-1843.
Old Library, 1843-.
Chittenden Hall, 1890-.
representing the Church, and on the
right a Colonial
Lawgiver, representing the State.
The two shields
on the left abutment: Lamp of Knowledge,
Torch of Learning.
on the right abutment: Open Book, Speculum.
in the arch of the door: Student and Tutor,
and an Indian and a Puritan.
Lamps of the ages from the torch to the
incandescent lamp: kerosene, candle,
gas, incandescent, whale
oil, Roman, and torch.
ELM STREET OR
(Catalogue Department, Main Reading Room, Yale Memorabilia,
and Reserve Book Room.)
On the buttress
tops between the windows of the Reading
Room are heads typical of the nationalities
of the world.
The first four are repeated at the