In collaboration with colleagues, Library Green Team members are working to establish departmental 'green goals' within their individual departments. Some departments have already decided on a goal. These include:
• Access Services has committed to recycling thermal paper (with approval from Yale Recycling Coordinator, CJ May) and to recycling cans and bottles.
• Acquisitions has committed to reducing use of disposable water cooler cups.
• The Beinecke Rare Books and Manuscripts Library has an active Green Committee with its own blog that provides details of their many initiatives as well as links to other useful content.
• Catalog and Metadata Services has committed to turning off computer monitors when not in use and to doing more double-sided printing.
• Staff at the Divinity Library have committed to turning off lights in common areas when not in use.
• The Forestry Library has already established a number of green initiatives, including double-sided printing, reusing scrap paper and using reusable food containers.
• Staff in Library Administrative Services have committed to printing less, to turning off computer monitors when not in use, and to hosting sustainable events (more information on sustainable events is forthcoming).
• The Medical Library has committed to reducing junk mail and receipt of unwanted journals (more informaiton on junk mail is forthcoming).
• The Preservation Department has committed to reducing paper use and staff agreed to each take the Yale Sustainability Pledge .
• Web, Workstation & Digital Consulting Services has committed to installing flat panel monitors and energy efficient computers, including workstations with low energy use when idle, and to continue providing techno scrap buckets throughout the Library(see below).
Please support Library staff and colleagues in their efforts to meet these important green goals.