Yale University Library
Digital Preservation Committee (DPC)
Meeting Notes prepared by Bobbie Pilette
Date: December 18, 2006 10:30 a.m.
Present: Bobbie Pilette, Audrey Novak, Kevin Glick, Rebekah Irwin, David Gewirtz
Absent: E.C. Schroeder
Discussion of the METS best practices document. Suggestions were to:
· Make the fact that METS grew out of the library community and is a DLF initiative a bit more prominent.
· Emphasize the hierarchical structure of objects within METS.
· Include a recommendation at the end.
· Need to provide a bit more explanation of where this fits in with everything else.
General discussion followed on what is to be covered at the next meeting and Kevin brought folks up to date on InterPARES which has finished its work and is now proposing a next step that would take the theory into practice.
Activities to be done:
· Digital Resource Maintenance & Preservation Strategies – Kevin will continue to work on
· Formats, Format Registries & Digital Archiving/Preservation – David will continue to work on
· Care & Handling of Analog Materials – Bobbie will continue to develop
· Rebekah – will check with DPIP on jointly developing guidelines for creators of digital conversion projects.
Next Meeting, Jan 8:
· Continue discussions on best practices: METS, Formats & Preservation Strategies.
· DigCCurr2007: International Symposium on Digital Curation April 18-20, 2007, Chapel Hill, NC – David G. preparing a paper
· Best Practices Exchange 2007: Libraries & Archives in the Digital Era, May 2-4, 2007, Chandler, Arizona www.bpexchange.org
· December 25 and January 1 Holidays –cancelled
· January 8
· January 15, Holiday –cancelled
· January 22, ALA – cancelled