The Classics Library was organized in 1892 by the Greek and Latin Club of Yale University as the Classical Club Library (the name was later changed to Classics Library). The Library has been located in Phelps Hall since 1896 and has been administratitvely part of the larger Arts Library system since 1999. The collection, with more than 32,000 volumes, covers many disciplines that include Greek and Latin texts, textual criticism, inscriptions, paleography, papyrology, epigraphy, Greek and Roman literature, philology, numismatics, history (prehistory, Greece and Rome, Byzantine and medieval), Greek and Roman law, classical archaeology and art, Greek and Roman mythology and religion, ancient philosophy and science, ancient music, classical scholarship, Byzantine studies, and the early history and literature of Christianity. The reference collection contains dictionaries, encyclopedias, manuals, and bibliographies for Greek and Latin studies. The Classics Library constitutes an integral part of the curricular program in the Classics Department and functions in close and vital connection with its teaching and research program. All material is non-circulating.