Director of Finance & Business Operations/Lead Administrator
Library Business Office
Yale University Library
New Haven, CT
Rank: Grade M7
Schedule: Full-time (37.5 hours per week); Standard Work Week (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include two major art museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
The University and the Library:
The Yale University Library, as one of the world's leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and is a highly valued partner in the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including more than 15 million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaged in numerous digital initiatives designed to provide access to a full array of scholarly information. Housed in 15 libraries, including Sterling Memorial, Beinecke, and Bass libraries, it employs a dynamic, diverse, and innovative staff of over 500 who have the opportunity to work with the highest caliber of faculty and students, participate on committees, and who are involved in other areas of staff development. For additional information on the Yale University Library, please visit the Library's web site at www.library.yale.edu.
Reporting to the University Librarian, and the AVP, Business Operations, the Director of Finance & Business Operations serves as the strategic financial partner and chief financial steward for the organization. Identifies, mobilizes and optimizes financial and other resources to help advance the mission of the organization, and ensure that the organization’s staff receive high quality administrative support in a manner compliant with University policies and procedures. Directs, plans, and manages the comprehensive business affairs of the Library, including management and analysis of Library Division budgets, financial results and regulatory compliance.
The Yale Library system has over 500 employees working in over a dozen primary locations. With a $70 million operating budget, the library is organized into more than 20 budgetary units and with more than 500 restricted funds
1. Strategic Financial Partner: Achievement of the organization’s mission and goals by working in close partnership with the organization leader, staff, students and service providers to develop and implement the organization’s strategy. Understands and monitors external and internal factors influencing the organization’s mission and goals. Plans for financial and non-financial resources required for the organization to achieve its goals. Supports organization and program leaders in conceptualizing, prioritizing, and planning new programs or program changes. Supports, and when necessary drives, the organization’s process for strategic planning with key staff and stakeholders.
2. University Citizen: Connects the organization and the University through communication, alignment of priorities, implementation of initiatives, and active engagement in organization or University administrative priorities. Effectively represents organization needs, challenges, and opportunities at the University level. Proactively shares knowledge and best practices with others.
3. Financial Analyst and Advisor: Provides comprehensive financial information, analysis and advice to optimize use of the organization’s financial resources. Creates and updates long range financial plan(s), reflecting all critical issues. Identifies available financial resources (current and future), and advises and deploys efficiently to best support organization objectives. Prepares all-funds budgets, analyzes financial activities and performance against budget, makes adjustments and takes action as needed.
4. Risk Management Administrator: Implements and maintains strong internal controls to provide reasonable assurance of effective and appropriate resource use, accurate financial information, adherence to contractual obligations and agreements, policies, procedures, and external regulatory requirements. Identifies, communicates, addresses and escalates risks in a timely and appropriate manner to protect the assets, resources, information and reputation of the organization and the University. Ensures all staff understand the regulations and Yale requirements as they pertain to their scope of activity.
5. Talent Manager and Developer: Ensures Business Operations employs effective practices for retaining, attracting and developing talent in line with University guidelines and contractual agreements. Ensures that staff participate in the University’s performance management and career development processes. Ensures the needs of current and future talent are assessed periodically and that issues are addressed, facilitating the movement of talent where appropriate and developing staff. Cultivates a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives. Assures that Business Operations follows appropriate School and University policies and procedures related to Human Resources.
6. Business Services Leader: Ensures efficient and effective completion of all administrative and financial services provided to the organization. Ensures high quality delivery of administrative services by providers outside the organization, including areas such as human resources, information technology, procurement, student services, post-doctoral affairs and faculty affairs. Establishes, monitors, and meets or exceeds targets for operational excellence. Identifies and implements opportunities to achieve continuous improvement of processes. Responsible for building and managing a team of high-performance administrative and financial professionals.
7. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
1. Minimum of a bachelor's degree and ten years progressively responsible experience 5 of which are in a leadership role; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and comprehensive knowledge of accounting, financial reporting and analysis.
3. Demonstrated experience with complex strategic planning and resource allocation.
4. Demonstrated experience in managing relationships and influencing outcomes.
5. Demonstrated creativity and effectiveness in a complex organization.
6. Demonstrated success in developing people and organizations.
Required Skills and Abilities:
1. Well developed managerial, decision-making, planning, organizational, problem-resolution and leadership skills. Ability to negotiate skillfully with both internal and external constituents.
2. Demonstrated ability to manage people on a day-to-day basis and inspire a high level of commitment and performance. Ability to anticipate changes in the business environment and proactively manage change.
3. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels throughout the University.
4. High-level strategic planning skills. Visionary with ability to influence. Ability to generate a strategic vision and to influence people to achieve this vision.
5. Strong computer skills including Excel. Solid understanding of internal control concepts and the implementation of internal control systems in a complex business environment.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
1. Master's degree in business and or related field.
2. Finance and budgeting experience in an institution of higher education.
Salary and Benefits
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Applications consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be sent by creating an account and applying online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs for immediate consideration - the STARS req ID for this position is 21765BR. Please be sure to reference #21765BR in your cover letter.
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.
Director of Finance & Business Operations/Lead Administrator