Circulation Implementation Workgroup
Minutes for October 16, 2001
- SysAdmin changes – Shawn reminded the group that should they make any changes to the SysAdmin module of the test site, these changes must be recorded. There will soon be a searchable web forum for recording changes and questions about Sysadmin changes.
- Future Meeting Agendas - It was proposed and agreed that all members of the group should forward agenda items prior to each meeting to assist us in remaining on track and enhance the efficiency and productivity of meetings.
- Minutes – The responsibility for taking meeting minutes will be rotated among the group members. Prepared minutes will then be forwarded to Shawn who will forward them to Cesar for posting.
- Holds and Recalls–The group reported on their findings from testing how holds and recalls operate within the system.
- Holds – The question arose as to whether Holds were necessary. The majority of units feel that patrons are confused by the terms, and in fact mean to place a Recall when asking for a Hold. In NOTIS Holds are secondary to Recalls, therefore get bumped if a third patron places a Recall. However, Holds are necessary in some instances and would be desirable in the Voyager. For instance, at Medical Holds are placed on 3Day Reserve material that gets very high use, and where Recalling is not a suitable option. The group is also contemplating an alternative solution to Holds. Other questions included: Can holds be limited to one circ policy group only? How would this appear in the OPAC? Can the use of Request Groups help here? Is anyone using Request Groups and for what situations? Do Request Groups work through WebOPAC or only the Circ client or Opac client (the Windows version, not the browser version)? Could forms be customized to limit HOLDS for these materials via patron authentication?
- Recalls – The group was curious if a Recall could be placed against items on the Hold Shelf. Initial testing showed that Recalls could not be placed against these items but Holds could. To verify this John agreed to check Voyager Archives and if necessary pose the following question to Voyager List:
In NOTIS, you CAN place a recall against an item while it is checked-in and waiting on the Hold-Shelf for another patron. Can this be done in Voyager, keeping in mind that the item isn't checked out yet, but it's not exactly checked-in and awaiting re-shelving?
- Patron Group Mapping- Shawn informed the group that Suzanna relies on NOTIS Patron Groups as criteria in the running of several extracting programs, one of which authorizes certain patrons to access restricted databases by telnet (all of 'TL'; only summer students and summer faculty and 'crdr' in 'PO'). This means that mapping Notis Patron Groups and Categories to new Voyager Patron Groups may need re-thinking. Should we break out certain patron categories that we previously decided to combine, i.e., ME/FAC - PO/FAC – TL/FAC? Can extracts be re-written to pull data from Patron Statistical Categories field in Voyager Patron record? Another program to extract patron data is for the transfer of library fines and credits to the Bursar. Can this be accommodated with a Pat Stat Cat called Bursar? What in the NOTIS patron record currently raises a flag for a Bursar account? Will this extract be replaced by the Voyager Circ module’s Bursar Interface?
to Orbis2 Implementation Site