SIIOG Meeting Notes #4
July 26, 2001
Present: Gail Barnett, Jeff Barnett , Roy Lechich, Wes Most, Karen Reardon
Agenda: Discuss server-related issues as part of initial process to
generate a plan/schedule.
Current plans call for 4 server instances (similar to our current regions on
the production system) – Test/Training, Development, Production/Backup and Reporter
Setup for each server includes :
- Configuration determination by ITS
- Purchase and receipt of
- Initial setup to prepare for Oracle and Voyager server app installation
(disks, OS, etc.)
- Oracle and Voyager server app installed (with the exception of the Reporter
server, as noted below)
- Test/Training server: nearly set up for the Oracle and Voyager install.
- Development server: configuration will be dependent to some extent on
the results of the Certification Test at Sun (below) and the architecture
of the production server.
- Production server: configuration determination will be continued after
the California benchmark in order to purchase the production hardware around
- Reporter server: will come later, after we have some information about
the Production server’s performance.
Server Notes and Questions:
to Orbis2 Implementation Site
- Reporter will have only the Oracle database and not the Voyage application.
- The Development server will not be supported by Voyager.
- How will the database on the Reporter server be synched to the Production
- (What mechanism – mirroring or frequent updates? Instant Image? Oracle Parallel
- This is not yet detemined and the Reporter server will probably be the
last one to be set up, as its function will be primarily to lessen the load
on the Production server.
- When do we have to have the development server in place?
- this depends on the timeframe of initial Voyager-related development which
needs to update Voyager data, since the Test server will not be available
for this purpose.
- brief discussion about initial voyager-related programming efforts; the
patron extract from NOTIS will not require programming that affects Endeavor
data because Endeavor does provide the patron loader into Voyager, just
not a patron extract from NOTIS. (Karen had earlier posted a question to
the Voyager users list-serv regarding the availability of a NOTIS ->Voyager
Patron extract program and received several responses; we will review these
in the hope of avoiding writing our own.)
- according to Wes, we can expect about a two-week shipping period between
ordering and delivery of hardware for the Development Server.
- should the Development Server have the same architecture as Production (scaled
down but schematically equivalent)?
Current and impending: ITS is exporting data from NOTIS (Bibliographic,
Authority, Holdings) for Endeavor to use in initial setup of test server,
and from there a test machine at the premises of Sun, for the purpose of
a Certification Test, to see how a test machine will handle the application
and a large database. This is not a real, quantitative suite of benchmark
tests. David and Audrey will in California for this, along with Mark Wilson
Afterwards, ITS will uninstall the Voyager application and Oracle in preparation
for the "real" installation by Endeavor and ITS staff at a not-yet-determined
date, hopefully late August.
The August 7-10 training session will not depend on the test server, so
that is not an issue.
Next Week: Review the information we have collected ove the last
few weeks and work on proritizing and scheduling; also try to identify any
other needs we may have in terms of information, training, etc.