SERIAL CHECK-IN WORKSHOP
SERIALS CHECK-IN IN THE VOYAGER CATALOGING MODULE
There are three goals to these procedures:
1. To check-in new serial receipts in the Voyager cataloging module by using textual holdings fields (866/867/868).
2. To update textual holdings fields in the Voyager cataloging module for serial check-in that occurred between May 13 and June 4 in Orbis.
3. To insure that the holdings information in Voyager is complete and reflects all check-in activities that occurred between May 13 and June 4.
1. June 5, 2002: First day that check-in and updating of textual holdings fields can be performed in the Voyager cataloging module. On this day serials check-in and item record creation for binding preparation in Orbis ceases.
a. This date may vary for various production units.
b. Continue to work in Orbis until you are notified that you may begin working in the Voyager cataloging module.
2. June 25, 2002: Temporary halt for holdings updating in the Voyager cataloging module.
a. Do not use Orbis for any serials check-in.
b. Production units may opt to do the following:
i. Hold all serials until production in Voyager can resume.
ii. Make a side record (such as a photocopy of the cover) of serials that must be made available to readers.
3. July 5, 2002: Serials check-in and item record creation can resume in the Voyager cataloging module.
On/after June 5 the following procedures are used to check-in serials in the Voyager cataloging module:
a. Open the Voyager cataloging module and log on with your Operator ID and password.
b. Press the Search button on the toolbar.
c. In the Search box go to the Non-keyword tab.
d. Use the pull down menu in the Search-by box and pick the type of search (ISSN, Journal title, Title or Name).
e. Enter the ISSN, Journal title, Title, or Name from the piece in hand in the Search for box.
f. Press the Do Search button.
2. Retrieving Voyager catalog entry & attached MARC holdings
a. Within the Titles Index box, select the appropriate entry and press the OK button. The Voyager catalog entry (the bibliographic record) should display.
b. Press the Get Hldgs (Get Holdings) button on the tool bar. A Select or Add Holdings Records box will display.
c. Highlight the appropriate location within the Select or Add Holdings Records box and press the Retrieve button.
d. The MARC holdings for your locations for the title in hand are now displayed.
3. Check-in in Voyager cataloging module MARC holdings record
a. Check-in the serial in hand on the appropriate 866/867/868 textual holdings field.
b. Current receipts are checked-in on the 866/867/868 textual holdings field that does not have indicator values (866 blank blank).
c. Retrospective holdings are added to 866/867/868 textual holdings field that does have indicator value (866 41).
4. Check-in for the first issues of a subsequent volume of a periodical
a. When the first issue of a subsequent volume is received it is often necessary to collapse the holdings of the previous volume.
b. If the previous volume is complete, update the 866/867/868 textual holdings field for the range of holding. This field will, in virtually all cases, have indicator values (866 41).
c. Check in the first issue of the subsequent volume on the appropriate 866/867/868 textual holdings field. Note: This field will not have indicator values (866 blank blank).
On/after June 5 it will be necessary to update Voyager with all the check-in and binding prep activities that occurred between May 13 and June 4 in Orbis. The following procedures will insure that the holdings in Voyager will be in sync with those in Orbis.
1. Open an Orbis session. Orbis will be available for six months after June 5, 2002.
2. Open the Voyager cataloging module.
3. For each serial in hand, check for a screen print in your Check-in Notebook.
4. If there is a screen print in the Check-in Notebook
a. Search Orbis and retrieve the OPR for the serial in hand. This OPR should have the same Orbis key as the one on the screen print from the Check-in notebook.
b. Search and retrieve the appropriate MARC holdings record in the Voyager cataloging module. See steps 1 and 2 from Serials check-in in the Voyager cataloging module procedures above.
c. Update the Voyager MARC holdings record. See step 3 from the Serials check-in in the Voyager cataloging module procedures.
d. If the MHLD updated note is present in the OPR also check the Orbis MHLD record for additional holdings information and transfer this holdings information to the Voyager MARC holdings record as appropriate.
e. Note: When transferring data the preferred method is to copy and paste. If you choose to re-key data insure that the data you input is correct.
5. At this point the holdings is both systems must accurately reflect all Orbis check-in activities that occurred during Phase I of the transition period.
6. If no screen print is present in the Check-in Notebook check in the serial according to the procedures defined in the Serials check-in in the Voyager cataloging module above.
1. Advanced searching strategies are available in the Voyager cataloging module. Additional information concerning such searching will be provided at a future date.
2. Voyager claiming procedures will be discussed during Phase III transition training.