AGENDA AND MEETING NOTES: 17 July 2001

1)  Review Imp Team membership

http://www.library.yale.edu/orbis2/public/orbis2.htm

At the time of the meeting were were still waiting to hear from 2 people for the OPAC group and 1 person for the Acq group.

2)  Review Aug 6th training schedule for Data Migration, Acq/Serials, Cataloging, Circulation and OPAC Implementation Groups:

The training schedule for the week of Aug 6th follows. Note that the start date is TUESDAY, AUG 7th. Endeavor staff use Monday for travel.

TUESDAY, 7AUGUST:

Day One: 9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon - WebVoyage - 27 people

This session will cover the basic functionality of the OPAC. Searching using the basic and advanced search options will be demonstrated as well as the ability for patron's to look at their records, and request materials. Advanced features such as Simultaneous Searching and WebVoyage Customization will not be covered.

TUESDAY-WEDNESDAY, 7-8AUGUST

Day One: 1:00 PM TO 4:00 PM - Cataloging - 10 people

Day Two: 9:00 AM to 10:15 AM - Cataloging - 10 people

This session will cover staff side searching, record relationships, creating, importing and editing of records. It will also cover the creation of templates and explanation of Duplicate Detection profiles.

WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY, 8-9AUGUST:

Day Two: 10:30 AM to 12:00 Noon and 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM

Day Three: 9:00 AM to 10:15 AM - Acquisitions - 10 people

This session will cover staff side searching, record relationships, creating purchase orders and invoices and working with problems and claims.

THURSDAY, 9AUGUST:

Day Three: 10:30 AM to 12:00 Noon and 1:00 to 4:00 PM - Serials - 10 people

This session will cover staff side searching, record relationships, creating purchase orders, subscription patterns, working with serials check-in, and working with problems and claims. We may have time to work with invoicing, but this is normally covered in the Acquisitions section.

FRIDAY: 10AUGUST:

Day Four: 9:00 Am to 12 Noon and 1:00 to 4:00 PM - Circulation - 10 people

This session will cover staff side searching, record relationships, working with patron records, creation of bibliographic, holding and item records as well as the editing of item records within the Circulation module. The basic circulation features such as charge/discharge of materials will be covered. Reserve Lists will also be covered.

3)  Lists of consultants:

Groups are still putting together these lists. They will finalize them by next Wed, 25 July.  Chairs will bring lists to Chairs meeting at 10am on Wed.  We will send a 'heads up' email to the consultants letting them know that we would like to draw on their expertise from time-to-time.  

4)  Meeting schedules -

Chairs meetings will be weekly (at least to start), 10am Wed.

Workgroups - Chairs to schedule

Entire team - Audrey will schedule a meeting in 2 weeks to review Data Migration issues. Audrey will then schedule a few monthly meetings in case we need them during this initial period.

5)  Follow-up from last meeting:

Anyone having problems loading clients? NO
Using clients (any underpowered machines)? NO PROBLEMS YET
Getting to Websupport? NO PROBLEMS
Voyager-L? NO PROBLEMS EXCEPT LOTS OF EMAIL
Everyone have manuals? YES

6) SYSADMIN MANUAL

a) Division of responsibilities - Manual Section Heading (who)

Making Decisions (all)
Before You Begin (all)
Logging on (all)
Locations Overview(all)
Add Location Checklist (all)
Location Types (all)
Define Loc. in Policy Groups (all)
Update Security Profiles (all)
WebVoyager and Locations (all)
Add Location (all)
Default Address (all)
Location Limit Groups (OPAC primarily, everyone read)
Item Types (Circ primarily, everyone understand)
Patron Groups (Circ)
Statistical Categories (Circ primarily, everyone understand)
Circulation Calendars (n/a - LSO will do)
Fine/Fee and Payment Types (Circ)
Base Currency (Acq)
Print Locations (n/a - LSO will do)
Add/Edit Print Locations (n/a - LSO will do)
Owning Library (Cat)
Search Configuration (OPAC primarily, Cat and Acq also)
Access Control Groups (OPAC and LSO)
Call Slip Print Groups (Circ)
Acq Configuration (Acq)
Cataloging Policy Groups (Cat)
Circulation Policy Groups (Circ)
Request Groups (Circ)
OPAC (OPAC)
Securing your system (Everyone understand, LSO will do)

b) Look at lsys in NOTIS - You will need information stored in NOTIS tables.  Your DBA member can provide you with this information. Let Audrey know if you feel you need direct access to a copy of the NOTIS tables.  We can try to make a copy available in ORNDEV7.

c) Some new terms/concepts:
Short Loan is a way for patrons to reserve material in advance. For example, a patron could reserve LSF,MSS/A material a week from now in the afternoon.
Call slips are paging slips but it's a more sophisticated system.
ARS is the automated retrieval system (link to off-campus shelving).  We have not purchased.  We will re-create our programs in Endeavor instead.
all/all - SysAdmin frequently allows us to specify all values and then to define in detail just the exceptions. Saves on data-entry.

d) Don't forget we not only have to configure ltyl but also LTLC, Law and CRL (simultaneous access).

e) What we have to do first is also the most difficult.  We need to work first on LOCATIONS, Item Types and Patron groups. We need to define these first because they are essential to the data migration. Acq, Cat, Circ, Opac and Data Migration groups all need to participate in the discussion/decisions about location mappings.  At the end of the meeting we need to figure out the best approach toward achieving this collaboration. ITEM TYPES and PATRON GROUPS fall primarily to the CIRC group but ITEM TYPES are essential to the conversion of our LOCATION codes.

The Imp. Team decided to immediately from a locations subgroup.  The Loc subgroup will have representatives from the Data Migration, Circ, Opac, Acq and Cat groups.  Audrey will lead the location subgroup.  Chairs will identify participants on Wed, 25 July.

f) Things we can think about later or that LSO will take care of initially include Calendars and Security.  Although read the security section and understand that security can be configured at the location level.

7) LOCATIONS -
a) Several kinds of locations in Voyager.  What we think of as a location is called a STORAGE location.  It's where something lives.  They also have HAPPENING locations - were staff work, e.g., circ desks, acq. units.  Also have PRINT locations which is not where printers are physically located.  Rather it's a way of grouping printed products logically. Don't worry about PRINT locations.  We need to define our STORAGE and HAPPENING locations.

NOTE:A trick Endeavor suggested is to define our HAPPENING Locations in uppercase letters and our STORAGE locations in lowercase letters.

NOTE2: Each location is represented 4 ways - internal, staff, opac and spine label - For the internal DO NOT include the commas.Including commas makes generating SQL statements cumbersome because each comma has to be isolated w/in quotes.

b)LOCATIONS and CIRC POLICIES in NOTIS. The NOTIS circ matrix using 4 elements - service unit, location, patron category and loan code.  Voyager's includes just 3, policy group, patron category and item type. Because of this difference we will without doubt end up with a massive conversion table of NOTIS location code+loan code values to VOYAGER location code and item type values.

See examples from Cornell: http://www.library.cornell.edu/voyager/MigrLocs/index.html

c)  LOCATIONS are mapped to policy groups. Voyager has CIRC, ACQ and CAT policy groups.  A location can live in only one policy group, but every location must be mapped to at least one circ, one acq and one cat policy group.

8) Q&A

QUESTION: Can more than one person be looking at SYSADMIN at a one time

ANSWER: YES

QUESTION: Can we change SYSADMIN or do we have to wait until after training

Audrey will talk to trainer about this tonight.

QUESTION: Do Item Types generate OPAC messages?

ANSWER: No