10 Dec 01
TRAINING GROUP (members added to existing Imp Team Groups):
John Morgan, ACQ
Rebecca Hamilton, ACQ
Steven Arakawa, CAT
Karen Spicher, CAT
Cindy Greenspun, CIRC
Chris Killheffer, CIRC
Judy Spak, OPAC
Penny Welbourne, OPAC
Kate Reynolds, Chair
- Survey sent to department heads to identify Orbis2 training needs. Intent is to get a better handle on the number of sessions and type of classes we need to offer.
- Windows skills checklist created for use by Expert Users to evaluate skill-level of staff in their units. Coordinating meeting with Expert Users scheduled next week.
- Endeavor functional training: First group, which included NELINET staff, training group members, and general Implementation team members, completed training last week. Second group is in training this week.
- Decision made to hire a TRAINER for a 1-2 year term position. Trainer will report to Kate Reynolds. Focus for at least the first year will be supporting the Orbis2 training effort. LHR is preparing the job description this week. Hoping for quick hire.
- NELINET sending proposal this week.
PRELIMINARY PLANS FOR ORBIS2/NELINET TRAINING PROGRAM
Currently anticipating 3 classes:
- A general, lecture-style class in staff-use of the online catalog.
- Hands-on, small group class in each module for those people whose primary responsibility is that module’s function, i.e., Acq for Acq staff, Circ for Circ staff, Cat for cat staff.
- Hands-on, small group class in how to search and interpret modules for staff who do not specialize in the module, i.e., Circ for non-circ staff, Cat for non-cat staff, etc.
Windows skills: Prior to the Orbis2 training, expert users will evaluate basic windows skills of staff and will coach individuals who need to improve their skills. Staff who are still having trouble with windows skills once Orbis2 training starts will be registered for Orbis2 training classes in which additional support trainers are scheduled.
The order in which the Orbis2 training will be conducted is important:
- It will be conducted in the order in which the modules go live: Cat, Acq, Circ.
- Managers and front-line supervisors will be trained first so that they will be ready to coach staff and establish practice exercises.
- As much as is possible we will train whole departments at once so that everyone will start practicing together.
In order to ensure success, following the Orbis2/NELINET training, staff should practice a minimum of 4 hours per week.
Training will be conducted in the test YALE database that will be created in Feb. It will include conversions of ALL Yale records from ALL Yale files.
Training will take place at the Mudd SCML and hopefully additional locations around campus.
Some training will be handled internally (i.e., it will not be included in the program provided by NELINET). Identifying these functions is one of the responsibilities of the training members of the Imp Team. Some examples are:
- Creating and updating ledgers and funds. (Only LBO performs these functions).
- Updating currency tables. (Only Fiscal Support performs these functions).
- Creating patron records. (Priv. Office, Med and Div only perform these functions).
- Setting up Proxy patrons. (Only Priv. Office performs this function).
- Printing spine labels. (Preparations may be only dept. needing this training).
- Notice and forms printing. (Will probably be limited to a small group).
Course reserves training prior to July may not be possible depending on the
delivery of the enhancements we requested. We may need to consider offering
a crash course in Course Reserves at the end of July and in August.. Libraries
needing to process course reserve material prior to mid-July will be trained
in current functionality.
to Orbis2 Implementation Site