The Kline Science Library is now operating as the Center for Science and Social Science Information, which is located at 219 Prospect Street, New Haven, CT 06511-8499
The following guide is highly selective, and includes some of the most useful reference sources for researching topics in mathematics. If you need help in locating or using any of the material listed in this guide, do not hesitate to consult a library staff member or the reference librarian.
| Dictionaries | Encyclopedias | Handbooks/Tables | Biographies | Databases |
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mathematics. 2nd ed., (4 vols.). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1993.
COVERAGE: Translation of the classic Japanese Iwanami Mathematical Dictionary. A well-indexed, profusely tabled coverage of all major mathematical topics, plus biographical articles.
AVAILABILITY: PRINT -- QA5 I8313X 1993 ENGINEERING & APPLIED SCIENCE
En20 1987 MATH
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Physics and Mathematics. NY: McGraw-Hill, 1978.
COVERAGE: More than 20,000 terms are defined for students through engineer-level users. Each definition is preceded by an abbreviation identifying the field in which it is primarily used. Good illustrations, cross-references, and an appendix for mathematical constants.
AVAILABILITY: PRINT -- QC5 M23 ASTRONOMY, Bass
- A Dictionary of Named Effects and Laws in Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics. 4th ed. London; New York: Chapman Hall, 1980.
COVERAGE: One paragraph definition of scientific laws and effects that are named after the scientists who discovered them.
AVAILABILTY: PRINT -- QD5 B32 1980 KLINE
- Elsevier's Dictionary of Mathematics: in English, German, French and Russian. 1st ed. Amsterdam, New York: Elsevier, 2000.
COVERAGE: More than 11,000 terms covering mathematics. English based terms, followed by equivalents in the other languages, are grouped together by subject categories such as logic, calculus, statistics etc.
AVAILABILITY: PRINT -- QA5 E48X SML
- The Facts on File dictionary of mathematics . 4nd ed. New York, NY: Facts On File, 2005.
AVAILABILITY: PRINT -- QA5 .F35X 2005 KLINE
- Encyclopaedia of Mathematics: an updated and annotated translation of the Soviet "Mathematical Encyclopaedia." (10 vols.). Dordrecht; Boston: D.Reidel, 1987-1994.
COVERAGE: Comprehensive encyclopedia of mathematics containing three types of articles; survey-type, medium-length and short definitions aiming at different types of readers. Entries include references for further reading. There are additional three volume supplements.
AVAILABILITY: PRINT -- En18 MATH
- Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences. (9 vols.). NY: Wiley, 1982.
COVERAGE: This nine-volume reference work provides information about statistical theory and its applications in various scientific fields. New update volumes and supplemsnt cover topics from computer technology to genetics.
AVAILABILITY: PRINT -- QA276.14 E5 STATISTICS
- Eric Weisstein's World of Mathematics
COVERAGE: A comprehensive and interactive mathematical encyclopedia.
AVAILABILITY: INTERNET RESOURCE
- MATHnetBase -- many online Handbooks
- Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae. 31st ed. Boca Raton,FL: Chapman & Hall/CRC, 2003.
COVERAGE: A well-indexed collection of often used tables and concepts.
AVAILABILITY: PRINT -- C11 2003 MATH
- CRC Handbook of Mathematical Sciences. 6th ed. Boca Raton, FL.: CRC Press, 1987.
COVERAGE: An excellent manual for both students and professionals containing comprehensive and accurate information in pure and applied mathematics.
AVAILABILTIY: PRINT -- QA47 H324 1987 KLINE, SML
- Handbook of functions with formulas, graphs, and mathematical tables.
COVERAGE: Exceptionally thorough collection of data and tables for research oriented scientists and engineers.
AVAILABILITY: YALE INTERNET RESOURCE
- Integrals and Series. vols.(3-5). New York: Gordon and Breach, 1986-1992.
AVAILABILITY: PRINT -- QA308 P7813X ENGINEERING & APPLIED SCIENCE
- Table of Integrals, Series, and Products. 4th ed. New York, Academic Press.
AVAILABILITY: PRINT -- QA55 G651 1980 ASTRONOMY, KLINE
- World Directory of Mathematicians. Providence, R. I.: American Mathematical Society, 1998.
AVAILABILTIY: PRINT -- Ref W89w 1998 MATH
- Biographical Dictionary of Mathematicians: Reference Biographies from the Dictionary of Scientific Biography. (4 vols.). New York: Maxwell McMillan, 1991.
AVAILABILITY: PRINT -- B52 MATH
- Combined Membership List of the American Mathematical Society and the Mathematical Association of America. Providence, R. I.: American Mathematical Society.
AVAILABILITY: INTERNET RESOURCE
- See Selected Mathematics Web Resources for more Internet resources.
- MathSciNet -- Mathematical Reviews
- Inspec -- covers physics, electrical engineering, mathematics, electronics, and computer science.
- Current Index to Statistics
- Web of Science -- interdisciplinary, citation analysis