Welcome! स्वागत! நல்வரவ! ආයුබෝවන්! স্বাগত! સ્વાગત! ಸ್ವಾಗತ! సుస్వాగతము!
ترحيب! خوش آمد! خوش آمدید!
Tel: (203) 432-7795
Yale University Library: South Asia Collection on Facebook
Hint: Start your research on South Asia by following the links in the left sidebar, or scrolling down to the bottom of the page!
English - Hindi - Urdu - Sanskrit - Pali - Prakrit - Tamil - Bengali - Assamese - Arabic - Sinhala - Gujarati - Telugu - Persian
Afghanistan - Bangladesh - Bhutan - India - Nepal - the Maldives - Pakistan - Sri Lanka - the Himalayas
Yale University Library's holdings of materials on South Asia are strongest and/or fastest growing in the following subject areas:
- the history of western involvement in South Asia
- modern India (from 1947)
- modern literature in English and Hindi
- classical Sanskrit and Pali literature
- religion (especially Pali Buddhism, Jainism and Christianity)
- Bollywood movies
- agricultural and forestry material (Subject Guide)
- the Himalayas (Subject Guide)
Materials in other areas, while not as heavily represented, are also actively collected: law, economics, sociology, anthropology, archaeology, fine arts (painting, sculpture, architecture, music), religion (Islam, Hinduism, etc), and philosophy.
Hint: In addition to the following, also try the links in the sidebar.
Search In ORBIS for material in the following locations:
- Sterling Memorial Library: the main collection (humanities and some social science material)
- Center for Science and Social Science Information (CSSSI): science and social science material(including some anthropology, history, forestry, and statistical material)
- Divinity Library: material about Christianity in South Asia
- Haas Art Library: Includes printed material from and about South Asian art
- Map Department: many maps, both digital and paper, of South Asia
- Yale Center for British Art: Includes a large amount of art from and about the British Empire in South Asia
- Note: Material in LSF (Yale's off-site storage facility) can be paged to any library
Search Finding Aids for material in the following locations:
- Special Collections: including rare book material (such as Tibetan and palm leaf manuscripts) and personal papers in the Beinecke and Manuscripts and Archives
Search MORRIS for material in the following location:
- Law Library: law material from and about South Asia
- Digital Collections: digitized material from the Beinecke, Manuscripts and Archives, Visual Resource Center, and Yale Daily News
- Yale Digital Content: digitized material from Yale Center for British Art, Peabody, Yale Art Gallery, and Yale University Library (including Maps Collection)