Collections & research
The Lewis Walpole Library seeks to be an active partner in the educational process at Yale and throughout the scholarly world. The Library acquires and makes available to researchers books and other printed texts, manuscripts, prints, drawings, paintings, and decorative arts in Farmington. In addition, the Library facilitates discovery of and access to selected collection materials remotely through Yale's library catalog, online collections, databases, podcasts, and a blog. The Fellowship and Travel Grant awards support study at the Library each year. The Library is open to researchers by appointment.
- Library Collections -- a summary description and highlights of the different types of collections at the Library; also links to related collections.
- Books and other printed texts
- Manuscript and archival materials
- Prints, Drawings, and Paintings
- Hogarth -- a page with further information about the Library's exceptional holdings of graphic works by William Hogarth.
- Decorative Arts
- Digital Collections
- Related links, including those to
- British Eighteenth-century Studies Electronic Resources Subject Guide-- links to Guide Table of Contents; Detailed Guide Contents; General Research Tools
- General Electronic Resources -- links to Selected General Electronic Reference Sources; Web-based Meta-sites for Eighteenth-Century British Studies; Digital Humanities Projects Related to Eighteenth-Century British Studies, Manuscripts and Archives Repositories Elsewhere; Search Finding Aids; Digitized Texts in Large Online Collections
- Primary Sources: Full-text and Facsimile Texts-- links to selected other (non-LWL) digital collections of primary source textual materials: General Primary Sources--British Eighteenth-century Texts; Special Topics--America and The British World, Slavery, Women, Art, Grand Tour, etc.; British Newspapers and Periodicals; Newspapers and Periodicals--Special topics: America and the British World; Ballads, Broadsides, Playbills, and Ephemera; Economics, Government and Legal Documents. State Papers; Literature--Drama, Fiction, Poetry; Literature--Special Topics: American, French, German; Papers of Individuals; Eighteenth-century World Texts; Digitized Texts in Large Online Collections;
- Primary Sources: Images -- links to selected other (non-LWL) digital image collections of primary source visual and associated textual materials: Caricatures and Satires (Images); General--Art, Cultural, Historical Images; Special Topics (Images); Digital Image Collections at Yale; Finding Graphic Material in Orbis; Suggested Genre/Form Terms for Searching for Images in Orbis; Catalogue of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum: Division I. Political and Personal Satires; Digitized Standard Secondary Sources Referred to in Orbis Catalogue Records for Iimages; Related Yale Subject Guides: Images: Art, Cultural, Historical
- Reference and Other Secondary Sources online -- links to selected reference and other secondary sources online: General Abstracts, Bibliographies, Catalogs, and Indexes; Special Topics -- America and the British World, Verse, etc.; Newspapers and Periodicals Indexes; Popular Databases; Online Journals and Newspapers; Art, Music, and Theatre; Biographical Resources; Dictionaries; Dissertations and Theses; Manuscript and Archives Repositories Elsewhere; Catalogue of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum: Division I. Political and Personal Satires; Other Secondary Sources Referred to in Orbis Catalogue Records for Images; Digitized texts in large online collections
- Yale Special Collections, Selected Subject Guides, and Groups -- links to Special Collections at Yale; Selected Yale Subject Guides; Yale Subject Guides for Images: Art, Cultural, Historical; Digital Image Collections at Yale; Working Groups at Yale; Research Centers at Yale
- Miscellaneous Related Resources
-- links to Blogs; Professional Organizations and Listservs; Reviews and Criticism; Rare Books and Manuscripts; Watermarks and Papermaking
- Master Class Handouts -- handouts from the "Caricature and the Comic Image" Master Class, includes info on abbreviations for creators, printers, and publishers as well as sections on printmaking methods, class readings, and a bibliography.
- Horace Walpole's Correspondence -- all 48 volumes of W.S. Lewis's The Yale Edition of Horace Walpole’s Correspondence.
- Digital Images Collection--digitized images from the Library's caricatures, satires, other graphic and Walpole-related collection materials.
- Recent Antiquarian Acquisitions Blog-- the Library's recent additions of rare printed, graphic, and manuscript materials; available via rss feed, too.
- Horace Walpole's Strawberry Hill Collection -- selected art and artifacts from Horace Walpole's collections, including images, descriptions, and last known whereabouts.